Eastern Parkway Memories - Brooklyn Memories

A continuation from the Citynoise site. A new BBS forum for folks to discuss their Eastern Parkway and Brooklyn Memories
It is currently October 24th, 2014, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

These files are read only, no posts allowed. We are trying to maintain the integrity of what remains of the original posts. Comments about the archive can be made in the Eastern Parkway Memories General Conversation Forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Citinoise Archive 2008
PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Len Lipner: 1st Jan 2008 - Note to Marcia Halperin: I remember the creamed spinach at Dubrow's, best in the world, along with the rice pudding. They had another more upscale restaurant, Dubsons ("Dubrow's Sons"). somewhere around Franklin Avenue I think. Both restaurants long gone. Also, if you write, I'll tell you how this information actually got me the best job of my life(!)

janet: 2nd Jan 2008 - Dubrows on Eastern P’kway, just off Utica: the name was set in big art deco letters (red neon?). Inside, cafeteria style. with big windows, a cashier that you gave a punched card to.. Was there a cordon separating diners from the ordering line? Dubrows had large interior (at least it seemed so to a youngster), and also had a rear seating area with more wood tables & chairs. Above Dubrows facing the street was a row of windows of Democratic Party offices(?). In those days you’d see a big sign for William O’Dwyer (the mayor who just kept getting re-elected). If you were in front of Dubrows you saw to the left a cigar store and a jewelry store adorned with a big clock stamped BENRUS. At the corner of Utica (I think) there was a liquor store. Later, in the early 50’s, Dubrow’s opened a fancier place on Utica between Lincoln Place and E. P’kway, Dubsons (as Len pointed out), and had waiter service; it was quite different from Dubrows (I can’t imagine where the customers were going to come from--ours was not that kind of neighborhood. I dined there but once). Didn’t Dubrow’s open another restaurant on Flatbush Avenue in the 1950’s? More to come . . . BTW—was that Chinese restaurant on Utica Avenue near St. John’s? and did it have a big neon sign sticking out: Chop Suey? Janet

Len Lipner: 3rd Jan 2008 - my email is StoryLen@aol.com...my memories are of attending PS 167, being Mr Lodato's lunch-getter, living at 1212 Lincoln Place, near Troy Avenue, and of course a million more things. Can still *smell* the knishes from the store on St. John's Place. Now I make my own - you can't get a decent, zaftig knish anywhere any more. Especially not from the Mom's Knishes pushcart on Schenectady Avenue, which I'm sure went to heaven along with the old guy who ran it. (Who says you can't take it with you?) I'm sure he's smiling down from heaven now, knowing there are still some of us who remember...

Jan: 7th Jan 2008 - Recently I took my grandson to the children's room in the main branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. It had not changed from the way I remember it in the 40's, except for the inclusion of computers. I then drove up Eastern Parkway to see if it changed. Noticed a large glass enclosed condo being built alongside Union Temple in what had been an empty lot at the intersection of Eastern Parkway & Grand Army plaza. At Franklin Avenue & Eastern Parkway, on the north-east corner, all the commercial buildings had been torn down, and it looks like something new will be constructed there. This is the corner that during the 40's had included United Cigar, Turit's dress shop, an ice cream parlor, & a liquor store, and where we played punch ball.

Stan: 18th Jan 2008 - Graduated 167 in '43. Lived on Eastern Parkway then Albany between Lincoln Place and St. Johns. Mr. Lodato was principal, Ass't principal was Mrs. Cohen (with the red wig). Mr. Allen taught science and Mr. Mones was the gym teacher. Boy scouts used both gyms (basement) on Friday nights - Troops 185 and 271The old men used to stand outside Dubrow's at night waiting for the papers and arguing about the war (WWII). Did you know the Famous restaurant was originally on Schenectady Avenue, opposite the school, then moved to Utica Ave., Remember the whole school sitting on the curb of Eastern Parkway for a parade when the Dodger's won their first pennant (1939). President Roosevelt was in the parade.

RD: 19th Jan 2008 - Does anyone here remember Bobby Fischer? He lived at 560 Lincoln Pl (corner of Franklin) during the 50's when he was becoming a chess prodigy. I saw him a lot because my Brooklyn Eagle route started at the next building across Franklin. What a strange life, born of a Jewish mother and German father in the middle of WWII, and he goes on to be an obsessive anti-semite. His mother Regina was a brilliant woman who was a teacher, nurse and doctor who spoke six languages.

janet: 21st Jan 2008 - I moved from St. Johns Place between Schenectady & Troy to St. Johns & Albany in early 50's and boarded IRT to Manhattan at Kingston. Wish I could remember Famous Restaurant on Schenectady, but all I can think of is their Eastern Pkway presence--and I think those men outside of Dubrows waiting for Daily Mirror to arrive at the corner store were eager to see the racing (and number) results, printed in detail by the Mirror. I stood among throngs on Eastern Pkway & Schenectady to see Pres. Roosevelt drive by and remember his black limo and of course utterly exposed President--perfectly safe in those years. Why he was driving by I don't remember--but I don't think that year was 1939--was there another later occasion? We all remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard of his death--unforgettable moment.

Stan: 22nd Jan 2008 - Hi Janet: I think we're talking about a few different generations.
In the early forties, the papers were full of the war and
I think the Famous moved about 1942-43.
I lived a 285 Albany Avenue between Lincoln and St. Johns.
Do you remember when Ebingers as on Kingston Avenue? I was in the Navy during Korea and I my mother would send their blackout cake every week. It was always intercepted by the guys in my squadron so I rarely got more than a slice or two. I can still taste the cake now. There was also a Theatre on St. Johns place off Kingston avenue called the Riviera. On Saturdays we would take a sandwich from home and go for the matinee. There, or the Carroll, the Congress, the Utica (we called it the Itch), the Cameo or the Savoy.

janet: 22nd Jan 2008 - Hi Stan--You're probably close to my vintage. I'm trying without luck to call up a memory of Famous on Schenectady--I lived just around the corner and went to 167--so there it was during the whole time! As a kid I understood only that we were at war (oddly, the single newspaper headline I recall is "Yanks Take Cologne!" on front page of Daily News or Mirror). I always feared my father would be called up (though he was actually too old). I had just started working in Manhattan during the Korean War (graduated from Tilden High in 1951 and soon to move to St. John's & Albany--a couple of doors down from the corner luncheonette). Jacky, one of the boys we hung out with now and then, was killed in Korea--I'll never forget that. I don't remember the Riviera (having spent all my childhood days at the Utica--"Itch," where Saturday afts. were a high point: remember the loads of kids all sitting up front next to the screen making lots of noise: then the newsreels (groans), then the serial or cartoons (squeals and hoorays: Popeye, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and occasionally a Little Lulu; then the 2nd feature often a mystery: Boston Blackie, Sherlock Holmes, The Whistler (creepy) or one of those cute musicals with Donald O’Connor and Peggy Ryan, followed by the main feature, usually a swashbuckler because Sat. matinee kids had no patience for love stuff. The Utica (Itch)—lowbrow, balcony-less, but so endearing--suddenly came up with a popcorn machine, a dime a bag. Once or twice my pals & I made so much racket that we were thrown out (or at least threatened). Remember the mean matron? During the week I tried to avoid being ejected at five or six o’clock when kids were cleared out, but couldn't escape her iron hand. I went to the fancier Congress during the week sometimes (it had a longish lobby and a balcony!), once in a while to the Carroll. The Cameo, at the opposite end of St. Johns on Eastern Pkway past Kingston towards Franklin(?) was a walk too far, actually in an unfamiliar neighborhood. The St. John's bus took me to the more expensive Savoy once in a while, and we (or I, as I often went those distances by myself) gawked at the nun's convent near Bedford with its high reddish walls and forbidding look. I know now it was (and is) an enclosed convent--the contemplative nuns live there still. If you stayed on the St. John’s bus (or, a little earlier, the trolley) you went past Loehmann’s and its beautiful wrought iron entrance, and on, on to downtown Brooklyn. Blackout cake--the most delicious of Ebingers treats—can be made at home (the only place you can get it now), but oh, wasn’t it a treat!

Stan: 23rd Jan 2008 - Hi Janet: You brought up a whole bunch of memories with the Utica. We're about 4 years apart, I graduated 167 in '43.Do you remember the library on Schenectady and Eastern Parkway? We always went on Friday nights to meet girls on the balcony, There was also a great bakery on Schenectady Ave. My job on Sunday mornings was to pick up the rolls for breakfast. They were warm and smelled so good I would eat one or two on the way home while reading the jokes in the Daily News. There was also a great appetizing store between St. Johns and Lincoln. Boy, there aren't any of those around any more (at least not here - I live in Rochester now).

rick: 23rd Jan 2008 - RD - I remember Bobby Fischer. He was a good friend of my friend Mike Demsky (a relative of Kirk Douglas, by the way) who lived in my bldg at 881 Washington. I would spend time on several occasions with Fischer in Demsky's apt. He seemed relatively normal at the time, even though we all knew he was a chess prodigy.

janet: 24th Jan 2008 - Hi Stan—and all you 167 alums out there—The beautiful public library in classical style on Schenectady & Eastern Parkway was a place to visit, to use, but for me not to hang out in and about—though I remember sitting on the stone steps once in a while. Remember the librarians as you walked in? I was always taken with their long pencils armed with the little rubber date contraption. Occasionally I walked by the Library’s very handsome stone side (reminded me of a Greek temple) down Schenectady (literally, because the streets sloped) and admired the nicer neighborhood from there all the way to Empire Blvd. Didn’t a bus run along there all the way to Ebbets Field and Prospect Park? I’m sure I took that later when I went to Brooklyn College—to get home, that is, with a transfer from Flatbush Avenue. As for the Schenectady Avenue bakery—I remember it well because that’s where everybody in the neighborhood bought their baked goods, sliced rye, cholla for Friday night, and sometimes (not often) even a fancy cake. We had those rolls too—they were delicious, round and puffy, crisp on the outside with little poppy seeds all over the place, and so soft and yummy inside (rolls today may look something like them, but are nowhere near them in flavor). Somehow the name Famous Bakery comes to mind, but likely I’m confusing it with Famous Restaurant. Janet

Stan: 24th Jan 2008 - Hi Janet: t dawns on me that the bakery is where the Famous restaurant was originally located. They probably kept the name because of it. Oooh what I wouldn't do for one of those rolls now. There's absolutely nothing like them up here. Even the bagels are different.

Ellen: 25th Jan 2008 - Oh what memories!!!!. My grandparents lived at 1102 Eastern PKWY and my Grandpa had a tailor shop on Utica right around the corner. I spent every Saturday afternoon of my childhood there- with all my aunts, uncles and 15 cousins. I remember Dubrows and taking dancing lessons (tap & ballet) across the Pkwy at 'Star Time' Dance Studio next to Famous restaurant. I often saw a matinee at the Carroll theatre. I am 61 and an attorney in the San Francisco area but the wonderful memories of my childhood spent there are priceless. I went to Tilden but my aunts went to Erasmus.

janet: 29th Jan 2008 - Does any one who went to Tilden High remember Mrs. Byrne (my favorite), Mr. Brill, Mr. Kerner? Mrs. Fuller, Gottesman, Fish, Novell? Or Dr. Levine, Mr. Blum, Gold, Davidoff, Miss Schicarella, Miss Arden? (all I can think of at the moment).

A. Weinstein: 29th Jan 2008 - Len Lipner, you should be ashamed of yourself! I have emailed you several times and you do not answer... Only kidding! I know you must be very busy with your new Grandson. Hey guys please don't stop writing about the good ole days, it keeps me going. Does anyone remember Tommy's Candy Store corner Lincoln Place and Troy Avenue? Does anyone remember the Yeshiva on Eastern Parkway between Troy Avenue and 167 School? Does anyone out there know of Bernice Barnett she lived at 1226 Lincoln Place? Oh by the way you can get some good authentic rec. on line for knishes. Anyone who would like to email me and talk about the good ole days I am at ascull@harwood1.com

Stan: 30th Jan 2008 - A. Weinstein Yes, I remember the candy store. I would go home for lunch (Albany & Lincoln) and come to school via Lincoln place. I'd stop at the candy store with my penny. They had a big glass display case with loads of different candies and we would all spend time trying to decide what to get. They also had a penny roulette wheel with prizes. Also two big red cans near the door with big rolled pretzels and pretzel sticks. By the way, if you have a recipe for knishes like we used to get from the wagon please send it to me.

A. Weinstein: 1st Feb 2008 - Hi Stan,
You got that right wow!!! you just made my memory kick in do you remember the Spero Potato Chips they had? I most liked the chocolate covered Jelly candies they had on the counter and the marshmello twists. I think the name of the company that made them was Joyva. 
They were the only candystore that sold Breyers ice cream. Stan why don't you email me at ascull@harwood1.com so that we can chat more on these memories.
Waiting for your email

Leon: 15th Feb 2008 - I remember Town Hill but it was called the Bedford Rest before that. I had my first date with my wife there 48 years ago. I grew up in in the 30's and 40's in Crown Heights (Kingston and Lefferts) which wasn't that far from Eastern Parkway the 30's. Spent many nights sitting on the benches and shmoozing. PS 91 and Erasmus were my schools. Those were the days!!!

Shelley: 17th Feb 2008 - I lived in Brownsville, but went to Tilden. Mr Gold was a great English teacher who loved to act; also Mr Engber, my best friend Ricky & I had crushes on him. Dr Stoloff was a pediatrician with an office in a big house with columns, on Eastern Parkway near Utica. Anyone remember him?

janet: 25th Feb 2008 Shelley--As a student teacher at Tilden, I remember Mr. Gold's dramatic performances and saw him leap on his desk once. He was a great favorite with students--lots of flair and drama. I never had him as a teacher when I was a student there, however (though all his classes were much impressed by his antics). I went to Jefferson one summer before my senior year in order to take a course or two for an earlier graduation. I think I took French and maybe a math class. I recall having a soda or two in a candy store across the street. Jefferson was known to us best because Danny Kaye had been a student there-- kicked out (so the scuttlebutt went) because of uncontrollable antics like hanging out of the window.

Kenny: 26th Feb 2008 - I lived on Saratoga and Blake 43-57. It was the best times that a child could ever live thru. Went to PS 156, Somer's JHS then Tilden High. Spent my entire youth playing in school yard of 156. Went on the roof, I think tuesday night to watch the fire works from Coney Island during the summer. The kids today will never know how wonderful it was. If we only knew then how good it was.

Len Lipner: 2nd Mar 2008 - For Alma (Weinstein) Scull: C'mon, toots, I didn't answer your emails 'cause I didn't get 'em! You know I still love you, and would've answered every one. The funny thing about Tommy's was that when it changed ownership, the neighborhood kids (me, Larry and Kenny, Bobby, Albie, Stevie Daniels, Mickey Lapidus, and all the girls) just couldn't grok that it wasn't "Tommy's" any more. We insisted on calling the new owner Tommy. He resisted at first, but then gave in. (Something about the customer always being right). To this day, I don't remember his real name.
Let's see - the Yeshiva, sorta back-to-back with 1212 and 1226 Lincoln Place. It was the main elementary school for boys used by the Lubavitchers, and far as I know, continues in that use to this day. All I remember is the ambiguity of their being "our people" (Jewish) yet a world or two apart from us. I got locked in their schoolyard once, after hours. THAT was fun! Oh, what I wouldn't give for some of those 2 cent chocolate covered jelly candies, from the box with the cellophane lid, on the counter at Tommy's; and those 2-cent marshmallow bars. God, I'm DIEING here...Another memory of Tommy's: quickly running down there for ice cream cones during the commercial breaks in the Milton Berle show in the summer. EVERY window was open, and EVERY TV was tuned to Uncle Miltie, so you didn't miss a thing - you could hear the show perfectly, even in the street. All I remember of Bernice Barnett was that I think my sister Susan played with her, and her brother Freddie lived through a miracle: he was deathly ill, everyone knew he was going to die, it was only a matter of time, and there was a pall over the neighborhood. And then he didn't! Got better, just like that. People were amazed, but hey, it was an age of miracles. By the way, Stevie Karlin (first floor of 1212) did die, young, of cancer. I have recently been in touch with Larry Gertler (of 1226) through his sister Frances; more on that later. As for knish recipes, email me your phone number and we'll talk about them. Can't be done so easily in an online posting.
Len

Len Lipner: 3rd Mar 2008 – KNISHES OK, for anyone who wants to do his/her own cooking, I just wrote an email to Stan and to Alma, containing a sort of recipe for knishes as I remember them from Brooklyn. ("Sort of" because there are a lot of judgement calls that are entirely up to you). Send me your email address, and I'll forward it to you.

janet: 3rd Mar 2008 - Hello Again Len--Do e-mail me that knish recipe. (The very memory of them makes me faint with pleasure.) We never had a TV, but when Uncle Miltie came on ("We are the men from Texaco, we're known from Maine to Mexico . . ."), I parked myself in my friend Sylvia's living room where her entire family (and I) watched (Tuesday nights at 8, no?). I don't remember Sylvia's last name, but I think she lived in an apt. house on Lincoln Place too (near Troy). Thanks for the memories . . . Janet

janet: 11th Mar 2008 - My, but that halvah was scrumptious (haven't thought of it cut that way in scores of years--but right you are!). That's also how we got our butter: grocer would cut a rich yellow chunk of it from an oblong wood box. When did butter come to be sold in lb. bars?

Martha Rice: 15th Mar 2008 - My mother grew up at 1076 Lincoln Place. She was born in 1925, and is 82 today. her maiden name was Helen Jane Rice. She had a wonderful life there in Brooklyn and I so love hearing her tell the stories. My great grandfather, Henry Thonsen, had his own butcher shop in the neighborhood. this was before the crash, and like a lot of people who lived through the crash, his business went under. My mother's family were hard working and very solid, interesting people. Everybody looked so fashionable back in those days! My mother went to a little school called The Berkley Institute. She had a fantastic education and a beautiful life in that beautiful neighborhood. I would love to be able to time travel back to those years when Brooklyn was in its heyday - such graciousness existed in Brooklyn that few people today even realize. I would love to hear from anybody who might have a link to this neighborhood, and possibly my mother's family.

Steve Mars: 17th Mar 2008 - My parents Bernard and Estelle Mars (mom's maiden name is Estelle Roxenberg) grew up in Crown Heights. Their first date was at the Bedford Rest. My dad taught at Tilden High for 30+ years. He and his brother Leonard attended PS 167 and Erasmus High. I can't believe all the great Brooklyn memories posted here.
Regards to all.

janet: 18th Mar 2008 - Steve--Your father's name sounds ever so familiar. What subject did he teach? I was a S.J. Tilden student; then later taught there for a couple of years. Perhaps it was during my teaching years that I knew him. Janet

A. Weinstein: 21st Mar 2008 - Does anyone remember my sister or any of her friends from Tilden? Her name was Marilyn Weinstein. Some of her friends were Sandy Zeppenick, Yvonne, Frank Bigoli. Let me know if you remember her.

Marjie: 8th Apr 2008 - I lived at 969 Carroll St from 1948 - 1954. Remember standing on the corner of Carroll & Bedford collecting the tickets from the people who attended the Dodgers games. I went to PS 241. Had Miss Kaufman for 1st grade. She was the sweetest teacher.

A. Weinstein: 18th Apr 2008 - Hey everyone, let's get some dialogue going here. Hasn't anyone got any memories they would like to share? Does anyone remember getting out of school (P.S. 167) at lunchtime and having the pretzel man standing there with his push cart selling those hot soft pretzels with all the salt on them? Or going across the street to Faye the pickle lady and get a big old sour pickle for a nickle in her wooden barrels sitting outside a store that sold chickens and etc. I really enjoy reading everyone's feedback so give a holler I'm here waiting....

David L. Drogin: 28th Apr 2008 - My mother had an aunt and two uncles living on the corner of Eastern Parkway and Kingston Avenue (next to the Lubavicher Synagogue), and my paternal grandmother lived across Eastern parkway. We visited all the time. I vividly remember staying at mom's uncle's apartment and going to services at Brooklyn Jewish Center on passover.

janet: 30th Apr 2008 - I don't remember the pretzel man outside of P.S. 167, only the knish man (and that most fondly!). Yes, the pickle lady. . . with her half-and half gloves, the palms covered but fingers bared and open and fishing for sours and half-sours. Thanks for the memory of that chicken store (with its half-hidden back room where the chickens were killed and the lingering smell of burnt feathers) being right behind her outside barrels on the corner of Lincoln. I hadn't been able to place the chicken store precisely. Do you remember the luncheonette at the corner right across Lincoln Place? Janet

A. Weinstein: 1st May 2008 - Hi Janet,
most definitely do remember the luncheonette on the corner that is where I was introduced to my first chocolate malted and my sister showing me how to dunk a pretzel stick in the glass of malted (yummo). Do you remember the lady who used to sell only bananas she also wore gloves where the fingers were cut out. Do you remember Key Food Supermarket. I remember that is where my mom used to shop and there was a guy named Red who worked there, or owned it. Do you also remember a butcher shop on Schenectady named Henke's I remember the sawdust on the floor when you walked in and he would always give me a slice of liverwurst free, when I would go there shopping with my Mom. I also remember a like a toy and school supply store near the butcher shop I used to buy my spaulding balls there, you know (the pink ones) when they were new you could play "A my name is" much better, do you remember the name of that store? Also I remember the Deli on the corner of St. Johns and Schenectady they had the best Franks. Keep in touch Janet I love all the memories.

A. Weinstein: 1st May 2008 - Oh Janet by the way do you remember the knish place on St. Johns Place near the Utica Theatre?

Steve: 2nd May 2008 - Janet
My father taught at Tilden high school for 30+ years (1951-1985). He was also the football and tennis coach.

A. Weinstein: 2nd May 2008 - Janet, I went to Erasmus but my sister went to Tilden her name was Marilyn Weinstein did you know her?

janet: 2nd May 2008 - How terrific is this! Alma, I do remember the knish place, but it was across Utica Avenue from the movie house (which from time to time we affectionately called "the Itch"). I didn't buy knishes there so often because we always got them from the deli you spoke of--right on the corner of Schenectady & St. Johns (the street where I lived). It was run by two men, bald, one taller and huskier than the gentler other, both always in white aprons. The franks and knish delights were at the Schenectady side of the window. I can still see the lettering for kosher . . . Mostly I bought a frank with mustard & sauerkraut (my absolute favorite meal in those days), sometimes my father bought salami (for salami and eggs--yummy Sunday dinner!). The deli counter with meats ready to be sliced was straight ahead when you entered, and there were tables with chairs in the center with the kitchen at the back right. Never has a frank tasted so good. Correct me, those who know--10 cents a frank? Be back with more later . . .
janet: 2nd May 2008 - Steve--I must have known your father when I taught at Tilden from 1958 to mid-1960 (I had graduated from Tilden in 1951). It was a fine school in those years. Most of the graduates went on to Brooklyn College--difficult to get into in those years--high Regents exam scores + girls needed an average a couple of points higher than boys (and both had to be in the mid-nineties). As I said earlier, your dad's name is very familiar. I'll bet we had any number of lunches together in the faculty dining room. . . Janet

Steve: 3rd May 2008 - Janet
Former football players (and other students) from mid 60's (mostly 63 & 64) have been holding reunions at Tilden field each fall. They raised funds to support the current team, and working with the school renamed the football field after my dad (in 2005). Also, I read about a 50th reunion for Tilden class of 1958. It's on Long Island in the fall. I can dig up contact info if you are interested.
Steve

A. Weinstein: 5th May 2008 - Janet,
What year did you graduate P.S. 167?
What was the address that you lived at on Lincoln Place?
Waiting to hear from you.......
Alma

janet: 5th May 2008 - Alma--I think I left 167 at the end of the 6th grade in '46 or '47. I'm vague because I went on to John Marshall JHS (JHS 210) on Rochester & Park Place, finished there and started at Tilden HS in the sophomore year, graduating in 1951. I didn't know your sister (I checked my graduation book too). I didn't live on Lincoln Place; I lived on St. John's Place (right smack in the middle of the block over Mr. Silverstein's candy store between Schenectady & Troy). A good friend of mine, Marcia Bernstein, went to Erasmus. She had lived next door to me on St. Johns, but then moved to the corner apt. building on President Street and Troy. Janet

A. Weinstein: 5th May 2008 - Janet,
Wasn't 210 where a teacher was pushed off the roof or something like that?
Alma

janet: 7th May 2008 - I don't remember that event. No doubt it happened after I'd left the school (not a moment too soon apparently). 210 was pretty much a "tough" school because of the rougher neighborhoods it drew from. I regretted for a long time--still do--not having finished up those best years (with enduring memories and friendships) at P.S. 167. When you're young the temptation to skip a grade and hurry life along was too strong to resist. Janet

janet: 7th May 2008 - Steve--How wonderful that the football field bears your father's name! I remember the name (he wasn't also in charge of disciplinary cases too, was he?). I used to get the alumni bulletin from Tilden, but no doubt my subscription ran out. 1958 is the year I started teaching there, but I by this time I wouldn't know any of the students. Exception--I remember football player Ronny Bly making quite a stir. Whatever happened to him? Janet

anon: 14th May 2008 Janet
You are correct. Ronnie Bly was a huge star for Tilden. He went on to play football at Notre Dame and briefly in the NFL for the Giants and Eagles. (I don't think he was in charge of disciplinary cases-- but I can't be sure)
Regards
Steve

janet: 25th May 2008 - Alma--Back to your memories of the old neighborhood. I remember the butcher shop, the one on Schenectady right near Lincoln Place (and next to a wonderful hardware store with long passage between loads of kitchen and general household stuff). I don't recall the name Henkel--but to the store I'm thinking of we occasionally delivered cans of rendered fat (wartime). Also, they were closed on Tuesday (meatless Tuesday--again, the war effort), and they also closed on Friday because most Catholics did not (and many still do not) eat meat on that day. I don't recall Key Foods-- but I was never good at remembering store names. Was it on Schenectady? Strange how little my friends and I wandered away from the immediate neighborhood. Crossing St. John's itself just to the other side was an act seldom done though there it was just staring at us across the trolley tracks--nor do I remember that we had friends from that side. Wow! Of course, we all went to the movies, mostly the Utica, often the Congress, sometimes the Carroll near Empire Blvd., and once in a while the Savoy (all the way by bus to Bedford--I saw "A&C Meet Frankenstein" there) and on the way opposite pole near Ralph Avenue, the Palace??? It was around the corner from the Pitkin--more alien territory. Looking back, life seems simple in those days (though we know life was far from that). Janet

Weinstein: 27th May 2008 - Hi Janet,
Thanks for taking me back to the comfort days of yore. I have a few more questions for you. Did you know a girl named Judy Rubin she lived on St. Johns Place. Also do you remember a fish store on St. Johns Place between Troy and Schenectady and near it was a cheese and butter store? I remember you had to walk up a couple of steps to get to these two stores, and on the corner was the Deli. Wasn't there a drug store on the corner of St. Johns and Schenectady across from the Deli? Try to search your mind and answer back when you can I love hearing from you.
Alma

janet: 2nd Jun 2008 - Hi Alma--Sorry, the name Rubin is not familiar (though I knew a Judy Kessler). But I certainly remember the fish store! (Thanks for reminding me that one needed to walk up a couple of stone steps--that we did!). The fish swam in tanks on the other side of the window. You'd ask the man or his mustached son for a pike or carp, he'd use his big net, toss the fated fish on to an oblong wooden board, knock it hard on the head with a wooden mallet, and that was that! I never forgot it. How things die . . . My mother sent me there or went herself on Thursdays so that she'd have the fish for Friday's usual gefilte treat. I remember the dairy store next door because you have reminded me of it--but we never shopped there because we patronized a small grocery just below our apartment (the grocer extended credit until Friday!). The corner deli frank was my favorite special treat. Between the deli and the fish store was an apt. house--well, a stone bldg in grey with stone steps up to the entry door. Upstairs the apts. had windows at the angle. There was no drug store on the St. Johns/Schenectady corner, but there certainly was one on the corner of St. Johns & Utica--Ronsons Drugs; also there was a drugstore at Schenectady & Lincoln Place, right across from 167. I wonder now if you're thinking of the drug store on the corner of St. Johns and Troy? It had a lunch counter (for ice-cream things really) straight ahead to the left as you walked in. Up the street a bit was our post-office. Do you remember that on the other corner of St. Johns across the trolley tracks from the deli there was a barber shop with at least three barbers that was entered at the angle where the streets met? I would watch as my father had his hair cut--with a shave now and then complete with hot towel. The shop was long, with many black chairs, mirrored walls, black and white tiled floors--and you could get your shoes shined at the back! Down that part of Schenectady and across the street was a German bakery, and just nearby a luncheonette with a long counter for sitting at while enjoying black-and-white sodas or ice cream from long-stemmed thick frappe glasses--only three flavors then as I recall. Write back soon. Janet

alan: 22nd Jun 2008 JUST BY ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION CONCERNING SOMEONE IN THE PAST, AN ENTIRE WORLD OPENS TO YOU. I lived at 4802 Snyder and left Tilden in 1960. What a different world. My grandfather owed the building and we took at look at it 2-3 years and it was abandoned. What fun, the Irish on 49th street, and jews and Italians on 48th. A different time.

Liz: 8th Jul 2008 - I was born at St. Mary's Hospital, baptized at St. Matthews church on Eastern Parkway. My parents were married at St Matthews and my mother attended St Matthews grade school and then attended St Angela Hall Academy. I remember walking along Utica Ave, stopping at Sam Ash for sheet music, because my Dad played the piano. We lived on Prospect Place, it was my grandmothers house. There was a grocery store, "Lou's" on Utica Ave, and Lou would always have new "kittens". WE would adopt a kitten, to my parents dismay. My mom was a nurse who worked at St. Mary's and my dad a struggling Attorney. There was a such a sense of "family" and believe that nothing could ever harm you, because, there were eyes that watched over you, not only your parent eyes, but all the neighbors that lived on that block. Our world was a small world, but it certainly was a caring world. In those days, it was not un-neighborly to watch and tell what your children were up to, it was expected. Law suits were unheard of for children "fighting it out" and there were always adults that made sure it didn't go to far, and to far was, one child taller then the other, not guns vs. knives. This was a time when T. V. was not in many homes, children played OUTSIDE, not on the computer. Stick Ball for boys and for the create bunch, we camped out in the back yard. Hmmmm, so do you think we have progressed or lost something ??

- Smiling...Eastern Parkway...Irish, Italian, Jewish...how come we all knew how to get along back then??? I can remember a Jewish couple coming up to me and saying something in Yiddish, and then noticing a surprise look on my face and translating the words for me. What they had said was....Beautiful Jewish Face...and when I replied that I was Irish, we all laughed. How simple life was then, and we didn't even know it!!!

Brody: 13th Jul 2008 - What a delight to come across this blog. It was truly "the best of times." Not only did I have the privilege of playing football for Bernie Mars 58'-60' but my uncle played with coach Mars on the Brooklyn College teams of the early 50's. About Ronnie Bly... he was responsible for taking a mediocre team to a city championship game. Because of him a lot of us "not so talented players" were awarded scholarships to other than "Big Ten" schools. Ronnie did play for Notre Dame, The Eagles, and then the Giants. It is my understanding that he fell upon hard times in the late 70's or early 80's and was hired by Steve Boxer (QB of that football team) who had become CEO of "White Rose Foods." Some guys do payback.

anon: 18th Jul 2008 - Liz: My sister was born in St Marys Hospital in 1929, the only one of seven siblings born in a hospital. We all went to St Matthews school and church in the 1930s. The boys on the north side and the girls on the south side of the 3 story building. Lou's market in my time was mostly Italian, vegetable, cheeses and drawers full with all kinds of loose pastas. We owned our house at 1187 St Marks ave. It was torn down to make space for the 77th Precinct. Some of my friends that lived on Prospect Place were Joe Kelliher, Marty Carmody, Tom Gandley, Ralph Guzzo, Sonny Duffy, Joe and John Murphy. We hung out at the candy store on Schenectady Av and Prospect Place. My name is Bill Hammond and I have lived in Denver for 62 years. Would like to hear from anyone who lived in the old neighborhood in the 30's and 40's.

R.RUBIN: 1st Aug 2008 - DUBROWS = FREESELTZER! MADE MAPLE SYRUP EGG-CREAMS
WITH MILK ON TABLES FOR COFFEE, THE UTICA THEATER ON ST. JOHNS PL NEAR.UTICA AVE.
SAT. MATINEE `KIDDIE' SHOWS, LOTS OF `BOWERY BOYS' FILMS WHAT A NEIGHBORHOOD'IN `50's-`60's CROWN HTS WAS!
& P.S.167 STICKBALL GAMES LASTED ALL DAY! AS DID
PUNCHBALL. ALL REAL N.Y.C.STREET GAMES! I DO MISS
MY YOUTH IN THAT NUTSO `HOOD' DONT YOU? THE KNISH STORE WAS ON ST.JOHNS PL TWIXT" UTICA/ROCHESTER AVE I CAN SHMELL`EM NOW
& HOW'S `BOUT` WOOLWORTHS' ON UTICA NR LINCOLN PL? & ST. MATTHEWS` FAIRS' IN SUMMER? WITH SILLY
GAMES LIKE:`KILL THE CAT'& SAM ASH MUSIC
WHERE I BOUGHT RECORDS [YEP, 45's] FOR 60 cents
 NOW I WISH I STILL HAD`EM [DON'T YOU?]

janet: 6th Aug 2008 - Richie--Thanks for the "Gref" reminder. I've been trying to remember the name of our corner deli (the only deli on St. John's until you got to Rochester (or was the next as distant as Buffalo?). The two men who seemed always to be there--both bald, one tall and stocky, the other older and white-haired, shorter, with a kinder face (he usually served up the franks)--remain from memories of childhood still. Bill, as for Schenectady below St. John's--there was the German bakery (maybe it was Ebbingers--not sure) and a luncheonette where we often bought frappes or ice-cream sodas. I knew briefly a couple of older boys who lived on "the other side of the tracks"--St. Johns Place tracks, that is-- around St. Marks Ave. on or near Schenectady and Utica-- Bill Finn, Tommy Creamer, Norman Fagan.

Bob: 9th Aug 2008 - Just ran across this site, sounds like old home week.
Lived at 887 lincoln Place and went to P.S.138.After
graduating went to Boys High at the annex on Park Pl
 and then to main bldg on Marcy and Putnam. Remember the
Dubrow family and delivered to them when i was a kid.
Also does anyone remember the Brooklyn Childrens Museum,
a great place when you were young. Also the Cameo theater on Eastern Pkwy showed movies on the roof. Also
remember when WWII was over we were on Eastern Pkwy, all
traffic stopped and people were shouting, dancing and
blowing car horns. That nite we had a block party and
they showed movies on a large sheet. A wonderful place
to live and grow up in.

Joan: 11th Aug 2008 - A good friend forward this to me, and I enjoyed the trip back to the old neighborhood.Schusters was the great bakery on Schenectady Ave north of Lincoln Place.The were several excellent produce markets. We shopped at Streisands, which was managed by Henry, a young black Negro who spoke Yiddish and was an addition whiz. The banana lady sold only bananas for $.15 per pound.Faye Kopchich, the pickle lady died about 1960. Her widower proposed to my mother, who I am certain did not want to sell pickles. I'll post more later.

Joan: 11th Aug 2008 - Looking down from the roof of 1212 Lincoln Place to a window in the adjacent building which fronted on Troy Ave, you could see Mr. Kopchich mixing the pickles in the brine. Hurst's Pharmacy was on Eastern Parkway, corner Troy, and he had fountain service. Joe's barber shop was owned by Joe Lodato, brother of August Lodato, principal of PS 167. Tommy's candy storewas owned by the Wolinetz 
family. In addition to the wonderful candy case, you could get ice cream sodas, frappes, malted, 2 cents plain, or a larger glass of seltzer for 5 cents. Good egg creams too. More goodies later!

Bob: 14th Aug 2008 - If you would like to see some oldie goldie pictures of Brooklyn neighborhoods check out BrooklynPix.com. Might 
get a memory from this site.
herb weitz: 2nd Sep 2008 - got to union & kingston around 1938-9 went to 167 for 1
semester then the crown heights yeshiva (310 crown)next to ps161 at 13 I discovered Shwabies poolroom HEAVEN, a warm place to play hookey and among the last hangouts of the old Jewish tough guys of the 20's and 30's who'd moved west from E.NY , one of the biggest gambling dens on the e.coast, in 1948 I saw a Buddy Shirling bet $50000
on a ballgame.

RUTH NELSON SHERMAN: 15th Sep 2008 - MY MEMORIES GO FURTHER BACK. I NEVER LIVED IN ROOKLYN BUT WOULD SPEND A LOT OF SUMMERS WITH MY BUBBY AND UNCLE A 1710 CARROL ST. MY PARENTS MET ON A BENCH ON EASTERN PKWY AND THE HALL WAS THE PARK MANOR. OF COURSE, I KNOW DUBROWS AND HAD A BUNCH OF FRIENDS WHO LIVED ON CARROLL ST. HELENE KATZMAN, SONIA PINES, JOANNE MODELLE, LOUISE KLETZKIN. THEY PLAYED HANDBALL AT LINCOLN TERRACE. SOME OF THE GUYS WE HUNG OUT WITH WERE MORTY MESKIN, ARTY BELOWSKY. DO ANY OF THESE NAMES SOUND FAMILIAR. I LIVE IN EVANSTON ILLINOIS AND MY E-MAIL IS BANDRS@SBCGLOBAL.NET THOSE WERE WONDERFUL TIMES.

Stan: 20th Sep 2008 - I was born at 1074 Eastern Pkway, moved to 919 then 915 and around the corner to Albany Ave, between Lincoln and St. Johns. My wife can't understand why we always lived within a few blocks. PS 167, Roosevelt parading on the Parkway when the Dodgers came out of the basement and won their first pennant, Had my hair cut by Joe Lodato and never new he was related to August Lodato, Boy scouts in the basement at 167 Troop 271), Honey's store to buy school supplies, Freidman's department store on St. Johns place for clothes, tin soldiers on the counters at Woolworths and Kresges on Utica Ave.(10 cents each) the Riviera theatre on St. Johns at Kingston, my mother shipping me chocolate loaf cake from Ebingers when I was in the Navy (sometimes I got to eat part of it). Joined the reserves at Floyd Bennet Field
to beat the draft then got called up when Korea started. Living in Rochester now.....boy! Brooklyn was the place to grow up!

Allan: 23rd Sep 2008 - Found this site, and these posts are fascinating. PS 167 brings back memories. Graduated in 1959. Sorry I hardly recall any of my teachers' names. Might remember if I heard them. I do recall my 8th grade home room teacher was a big guy who, on the 1st day asked the class, 'Who's the strongest kid here?' He then proceeded to easily whip the kid in an arm wrestle. Mr. Bernard, perhaps? Lots of us post war babies on Union St. between Schenectady and Utica. We were always playing punchball, stickball, Johnny-on-the-pony, off-the-wall, stoopball, or any other game. Milk out of the container on the street to quench a thirst. Nothing like a Spaulding. My grandparents were always at Dubrows and the Famous was a few stores away. I'm pretty sure my parents were married at the hall on Eastern Parkway and the east side of Utica Avenue. I don't recall the name of the place. One Memorial Day parade down Eastern P'way in the 1950s I watched President Eisenhower drive by in a convertible. Thanks for bringing back some memories. Allan

Allan: 23rd Sep 2008 - Richie, I lived in the same building as Judy Oshinsky. I have a few photos of us back around '55-58. She had 2(I think) brothers. On the corner of Schenectidy and Union was a dry cleaner (Messing's) a drug store, a candy store(was that Pachman's?) where we bought fountain drinks, pretzels, balls, etc. Starting in the spring we were always outside playing something right near that corner, including off-the-wall and Johnny on the pony. We broke a few windows playing that game and often had to go to a roof to find a ball. Remember using wire hangers to pick balls out of the sewer? Yuck! 
I think there were 2 young teachers at 167 who had a thing going (so we thought). The woman was a Miss Hines and the man Mr. Ford? I probably have the names all screwed up. Our graduation song was Johnny Horton's, 'Battle of New Orlean's'. I attended Wingate for 2 years. While there a guy from one of the gangs (Chaplans and Pigtown) was stabbed with a fork in the morning and by afternoon the school was surrounded with police cars. Wingate played Boys High for the City Championships in the old Madison Square Graden. I think that was the last high school game played there because of the near riot that ensued. Then I moved and attended Erasmus Hall, graduating in '63. Haven't been back to Crown Height since the summer of '61. The name Mr. Lipshitz seems to sound familiar. Don't recall the names of the store across from 167 but there were fish, meat, appetizing, woolworth's, a bakery, and other stores there. I remember the bakery n Utica, near the side entrance of Dubrow's where we'd get Charlotte Rooshes(sp) that were great. Some memories are just flashed. Been awhile. Allan

Stan: 23rd Sep 2008 - If it's the same Mr. Lipshitz (he changed his name to Mr. Allen) and was a science teacher at 167

rick: 23rd Sep 2008 - Scott, I remember seeing Zsa Zsa Gabor at Radin's deli several times. My Mom said she would stop there after shopping at Loehmann's on Bedford Ave. I think deli preference was, mostly, a matter of geography. I usually went to Ben & Sol because it was closer to PS 241 and where I lived on Washington Ave. (Although, on my way home from Hebrew school I often stopped at Radin's for a knish.) Radin's proximity to Loehmann's may have influenced Zsa Zsa's preference.

RICHIE RUBIN: 24th Sep 2008 - WOOLWORTHS WAS ON
UTICA AVE.AS WAS SAM ASH MUSIC,& THERE WAS A GOOD
DELI ON UTICA/PRESIDENT ST.NEXT TO AN APPETIZING &
PIZZA JOINT ON CORNER..WHAT A TERRIF.`HOOD IT WAS
BACK THEN! REMEMBER 10 cent WHITE CASTLE BURGERS DOWN
ON EMPIRE BLVD & UTICA? & YORK DINER? RICHIE RUBIN
RICHIE RUBIN: 24th Sep 2008 - DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE CONGRESS THEATER? ST.JOHNS PL. & BUFFALO AVE8. POPCORN MACHINE
GAVE OUT [FREE] POPCORN JUST BY`KICKING'IT!
WE'D BRING OUR OWN BAGS![IT WAS NEXT TO THE
UNITY HOSP.]. .RICHIE RUBIN

Allan: 24th Sep 2008 - Richie, What year did you graduate from 167? Me - 59. Judy also had another brother I think. We lived in same apartment house and same floor. I think I recognize the name Joel Bercy. Right about Mr. Litman. I couldn't think of his name. I used to go to the Congress with my brother and dad as well as the Utica, the Savoy (?), Loew's Pitkin and another one. Great Saturday matinees. Also went to Lincoln Terrace Park. The pizza on the corner of Utica and Union was great. So was the deli on Utica near President St. and an appetizing store near Carroll. Did you ever go for Italian ices on New York Ave? I think it was near Montgomery St. White Castle on Empire Blvd. was great. Used to get a dozen or so before going fishing at Sheepshead Bay.

RICHIE RUBIN: 25th Sep 2008 - I WENT TO TILDEN! [MOST KIDS ON`OTHER SIDE'OF EASTERN PKWY
WENT TO H.S. OTHER THAN WINGATE, IN FACT WINGATE WASN'T EVEN FINISHED WHEN I GRADUATED IN `58, NOT`59!

RICHIE RUBIN: 30th Sep 2008 - PACHMAN'S CANDYSTORE..A BLOCK FROM LIBRARY ON
EASTERN PKWY.. REMEMBER? MMM, A MALTED & L-O-N-G
PRETZEL WOULD WAKE US ALL UP..NO? or A KNISH
FROM ANY DELI, or FREE SELTZER @ DUBROW's BLEND W/MAPLE SYRUP & THOSE tiny [FREE] GLASS CONTAINERS of HEAVY CREAM, ERGO,A FREE[MAPLE]`EGG-CREAM'. AAH!
B'KLYN HAD SO MANY GOOD MEMORIES. NO? RICH.RUBIN

BOB: 30th Sep 2008 - The congress theater as of a few years ago
is completely unused last of the occupants
out of business. The Rivera on St. Johns and
Kingston was demolished. Cameo on Eastern Pkwy
is being used as a church. Utica is now a market. Savoy on Bedford Ave is a church. lincoln theater
across from Savoy was a gas station. I guess the 
era of the theaters has passed, although it was a
wonderful part of growing up.

Janet: 30th Sep 2008 - Well, the adage 'the more things change the more they stay the same' does not apply to the old neighborhoods or the old movie houses where those of our generation got a colorful taste so much of the world--history romanticized but very palatably dished up, geography, and politics. The Congress had a long lobby and a balcony, and seemed much classier than our Utica Theatre (it had none). On winter nights, we needed to take the St. John's bus home to either Schenectady or Troy (a nickel--but who had a spare nickel after the candy binge?). The colder the night the fewer the buses. Congress was right next to the Unity Hospital that had a poor reputation, and just around the corner of Buffalo upstairs was our dentist (if novicaine was around in those days, he never heard of it! The Utica was our own movie house--simple but friendly. 12 cents got you in for a day's entertainment until you were evicted at 6 by the matron (sometimes I couldn't get the 12 cents together; sometimes we hid until the manager himself kicked us out--something about our parents wanting us home for dinner). Saturdays were best. Adventures took us by bus to the grander Savoy, where St. John's Place met Bedford Avenue: alien territory. Anyone go to movies in downtown Brooklyn? All the way by bus or IRT (Utica and Schenectady station) to Hoyt Street or Nevins: The Brooklyn Fox (sumptuous, gorgeous--like a European opera house!)--showed Warner Bros. movies; the Paramount that wound round the corner near the Brooklyn Academy of Music; the RKO Albee, not far from Martin's Dept. Store--showed RKO and 20th Century Fox movies? Then another movie house a block or two after Abraham & Strauss (probably showed MGM--though I remember seeing "Night and Day" there . . .
Stan: 1st Oct 2008 - That other movie house was the Strand. At one time it had live acts along with the movie (vaudeville I guess). I remember my father taking me there to see a magician who supposedly sawed a woman in half. I know it was an illusion but to a 7 year old kid it was unbelievable.

Janet: 1st Oct 2008 - Thanks Stan for the Strand reminder--but wasn't the Strand on Fulton Street, just before the downtown movie and shopping district began? If you emerged from the subway, you were just about in front of the Fox, and to the right at an angle was Fulton. I think I remember the Strand marquee. The movie Theatre I'm thinking of might have been Loews' Metropolitan.

BOB: 1st Oct 2008 - The Strand was indeed on Fulton st. next to the
Majestic theater. Am told both were taken over
by the Academy of Music. Not sure of the plans
for the structure.

Bosley: 2nd Oct 2008 - Don't forget the "Patio" movie theater, on Flatbush Avenue, across from the 711 Chinese restaurants. I think it belonged to the "Century" chain. Before the Patio apartments were built on the site, I loved to walk thru the gardens in the actual patio, & check out the gold fish pool.

BOB: 3rd Oct 2008 - Ah yes. The "Patio" and elegant movie theater.
If i am correct as it's been a long time, the
lobby had a fountain with a pool below. I think
it was the flagship theater of the "Century" chain.

Jack: 9th Oct 2008 - Wonderful memories, but not one person has mentioned the best thing about growing up in Brooklyn.
Ya ready:
The CHARLOTTE RUSSE in the glass case.
vanilla or chocolate

Bob: 13th Oct 2008 - Egg creams were whole milk, seltzer and Fox's U-bet
chocolate syrup. Always made in a small coke glass.
A real Brooklyn treat.

Janet: 18th Oct 2008 - The luncheonette on the corner of Lincoln Place and Schenectady Avenue sold charlotte russes at the window--all fluffy whipped cream and a cherry over sponge cake (half as much cake as one expected because of the concealed raised cardboard insert--but who cared? It was the whipped cream we were after). Always a treat when Mr. Silverstein's candy store on St. John's Place got them finally--didn't have to walk to Schenectady.

Stan: 24th Oct 2008 - Nothing was ever as good as a Nedick's orange drink. Anybody know the mix to make this again? I'll trade the lyrics to their old jingle for the recipe.

Bob: 25th Oct 2008 - Nedick's is alive and well in Manhattan, ran into
one a few years back on the LIRR level at Penn Sta.
Same orange drink, but a wider variety of franks. A
few changes but still pretty good.

Stan: 25th Oct 2008 - Here goes Doc: "My name is little Nick so mister let me be precise, you’re out of step, you need some pep, so here is my advice. What does it take little Nick? Only a minute Mr. Quick You stop in at the nearest Nedicks store. You buy a cold delicious glass of Nedicks orange drink. It’s cool refreshing flavor you’ll adore. Tell me more. What does it cost little Nick.? Only a nickel Mister Quick, a glass will help you feeling in the pink. For vigor and vim and vip its a pleasure to take a sip of a cool Nedicks orange drink. Nedicks, try one, Nedicks" Wish I could try one now!

K Bernstein: 28th Oct 2008 - Hi-- Judy Oshinsky must have made an impression on many of us. She and I were both in the same class (the IGC) at PS 167 in 1958-59. The class was half fifth-grade (that's me) and sixth-grade (Judy). One of the fellows in my year had a major crush on Judy and we all got a kick out of it. Our teacher was Mrs. Bono that year, who then went on to become Assistant Principal. I lived at 954 Eastern Parkway over a Kosher deli with a large indigo-colored sign. I attended PS 167 from 1952-59. My family left crown heights in 1959 and I left PS 167 after the sixth grade. I have an older cousin who graduated from PS 167 in about 1956. He used to refer to Mr. Allen as "Maxie Allen Lipshitz." To Richie Rubin--I'm Tilden '64. Someone mentioned Charolotte Russes--I loved them as a kid!

Keith Bernstein: 29th Oct 2008 - I remember a summer fair held in the PS 167 school yard that was run by one of the church schools; I won a plate pitching pennies once. My friend's mother (his name was Saul Steinwise) worked at the Normandie Bake Shop on Utica Avenue. Charlottes and great cookies! Saul and I and our friends who all lived near the corner of Troy and EP used to play stoop ball, usually using the stoop at 958 EP. We also played punchball in the courtyards behind the buildings on that block. I used to love to go to the movies as a kid. My first one was "It Came From Outer Space" at the Utica in 1953. I regularly went to the Carroll on Saturday afternoons. I remember the Congress; it was very impressive (I saw "Oklahoma" there), and my friends and I saw the original "Godzilla" at the Cameo, probably in 1957. Someone mentioned "Honey's", which was on the corner of Albany and EP (I think) for school supplies; that was in the days of shopping at neighborhood stores. To Steve Mars--I remember your father although I never had him for a teacher. He was the football coach and the team was alternatively called the "Blue Devils" and "Marsmen" in "Tilden Topics," the school newspaper. I hope they rename the field in his honor. I'm sure that you know that Tilden is being closed and is being replaced by several smaller schools that will share the building; too bad. Those were great times to be a kid in Crown Heights. Unfortunately I lost contact with everyone I knew from those days. This board is developing into a fine resource for us.

Janet: 29th Oct 2008 - Before Honey's moved to Eastern Parkway, the store was on St. John's very near the corner of Troy, right next to a little Jewish tailor who worked at the window on his Singer. Once inside the tailor's shop you could always smell the steam from the pressing machine. Honey sold all the lovely and simple school supplies we stocked up at the beginning of the school year: loose leaf paper, black and white mottled notebooks, pencils . . . At holiday time— Halloween or Thanksgiving —Honey’s window was decorated with paper pumpkins, witches, turkeys, pilgrim hats.

Stan: 29th Oct 2008 – Janet Honey's was on St. Johns Place they were near Friedman's department store. Was there a bank there also?

Alan Kupperberg: 29th Oct 2008 - Searching the Internet for information on Dubrow’s Cafeteria and the Famous restaurant on Eastern Parkway at Utica Avenue, I discovered this wonderful site. It brought back many wonderful memories for me. I’d like to share some of my memories. I cannot vouch for some of the spelling of the names of non-family members. Some of the following is family folklore that one may enjoy, if not exactly take as the Gospels. And my personal memories are not of a frozen moment in time, but an almost twenty year smear of people and places, circa 1955-1975, at which point the last of my relations had left the neighborhood. Establishments mentioned as being on the same block may or may not have co-existed at any one point in time. I was born in May of 1953 and lived at 261 Buffalo Avenue at St. Johns Place. The view from our second floor kitchen window was of the Congress Delicatessen and the Congress Theater. The exquisite, delectable aroma from the delicatessen, the corned beef, the kishka were pure heaven. These aromas are vivid in my memory. As are the sight of frankfurters sizzling on a raised grill in the front window alongside a tub of hot sauerkraut. My mother ate a Romanian Steak at the Congress Delicatessen shortly before going into labor and bringing me forth at the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital shortly after 8pm. A large portion of my family lived on or about Eastern Parkway, Buffalo Avenue, Lincoln Place and St. Johns Place. The city no longer ran trolley cars on St. Johns Place but they had not taken up the tracks yet when I was a boy. Speaking of trolley lines, I do remember when they filled in the Church Avenue Trolley Tunnel that ran under Ocean Parkway. I believe that the two apartment buildings on Buffalo Avenue, 261 and 273, between St. Johns Place and Lincoln Place were, if not built by, were at least owned by my grandmother Ann (Tockman) Kupperberg’s cousin, by the name of Feldman. He was the father of both bandleader Shep Fields and of Freddie Fields, who helped found the "Creative Management Associates" talent agency, with David Begelman in 1960, as well as being married to actress Polly Bergen. My father’s father, Alfred Kupperberg was a licensed electrician who was a film cinematographer and projectionist in the New York film industry. I have his employee ID card for Studio One, “Paramount Famous Lasky Corporation.” I presume that meant the Astoria facility, now the Kaufman Studio. I have several snapshots of him on studio back lot streets, a Parisian alley, etc. I do not know if they were snapped in Queens or at the Warner Bros.-Vitaphone site on Avenue M in Brooklyn. Allegedly, Alfred had filmed Al Jolson. I know that my father had several huge Vitaphone disks in the back of the hall closet as late as 1960. They were used before the film industry adopted “sound on film.” We moved to West Virginia for a year in 1960 and, ironically, the disks did not survive the journey out of Brooklyn intact. But my grandfather’s main occupation by the late 1920’s was as a motion picture projectionist. Alfred Kupperberg died, circa 1930, in front of the Granada Theater on Church Avenue, west of Nostrand Avenue. Sitting in his car in front of the movie house, he seems to have passed out for some reason. Slumping forward, the steering wheel cut off his breathing and he strangled. In the early 1930’s my Grandmother Ann Kupperberg and her sister Nettie Tockman leased a small space at 881 Eastern Parkway between Albany and Troy Avenues and opened The Netann Gift Shoppe. The enterprise also boasted a small “circulating” or lending library. The shop shared the building with “Murphy’s Shull,” so-called because a certain Mr. Murphy owned the building. My Grandmother, Ann Kupperberg, was the cashier at the Stone Theater, on Stone Avenue, off Pitkin Avenue, in the late1930’s, early 1940’s. Though I think I saw my first motion pictures at the Loew’s Pitkin Theater (they had a television [!] in the foyer under the marquee, showing film shot of people passing in front of the theater. I’d stand there staring at the screen endlessly, hoping to catch a glimpse of myself. In vain, alas.), most of my movie going was at the Congress Theater. Only two film seen at the Congress stand out in my mind. Almost every Sunday afternoon, my father, Sidney Kupperberg would accompany me or drop me off at his Aunt Nettie Tockman’s home for a “Nettie Chicken Dinner.” Or “Nettie Spaghetti” (stir a can of tomato sauce and a couple of whacked up slices of American cheese into the cooked pasta and you’re in business). On this particular Sunday, to kill time before we were due at Aunt Nettie, dad and I took in a matinee at the Congress Theater. The film was a cheap sci-fi effort, “Atomic Submarine” (1960). The scenes on the alien spacecraft, marooned undersea for repairs, where some of the earthling good guys are, variously, trapped by and bifurcated in a closing iris portal and fried to a crisp by an alien heat ray were horrifying enough to a six year old. But when the hero shoots the giant, tentacled alien in its single eyeball, and the eyeball melts --! Good night nurse! That scared the bejeebers out of me. Another time, my mother’s younger brother, David Kaye and his friend Normie Klein took me to see “The Three World’s of Gulliver” (1960) at the Congress. David and Normie were aspiring juvenile delinquents, replete with a pack of Marlboro flip-tops rolled up in their T-shirt sleeves. Naturally they had to sit in the balcony and smoke. Being afraid of heights, I immediately began carrying on. And when Lemuel Gulliver is confronted by and forced to fight a giant reptile, I really lost it, causing a commotion that resulted in our ejection from the theater. Between the Congress Theater and Buffalo Avenue were Charlotte’s Luncheonette, the Eclipse Sleep Products store and a pizza place. Uncle David lived next door on the ground floor-back, at 273 Buffalo Ave with my Grandmother Rose (Handshuh, Blumenfeld, Klonsky) Kaye, my mother Lottie’s mom. The next apartment contained my father’s mother Ann Kupperberg and her mother-in-law, my great grandmother, Bubby (Becky Kupperberg). In the next apartment over, dwelled my father’s sister Phyllis and her husband Mitzi (Milton) Markowitz, and their (then) two children, Kenny and Bobby. Mitzi’s parents, Dora and Marcel Markowitz lived on Lincoln Place between Buffalo and Ralph. My Aunt Nettie lived in the next building on Buffalo, a two family brick affair, on the other side of Lincoln Place. A Mrs. Block owned this building. The first floor was occupied by a dentist’s office and by my maiden Aunt Nettie. My aunt had to share her bathroom and stove and sink with the dentist (and his patients), when he had office hours. Ugh. Mrs. Block’s was one of a pair of attached two family dwellings. Normie Klein’s family occupied the other one. His mother’s name was Rae Klein. The next building over was (and still is) a free standing structure that was (and is not now), a shull and a catering facility wherein my parents were married in 1951. They met at a meeting of the Lincoln Terrace Camera Club. Meetings convened in a basement on East 95 Street between East New York Avenue and Rutland Road, below Lincoln Terrace Park. There was also a shull across the street from that facility on Buffalo and Lincoln Place, but we called that one “Bubby’s Shull” for the obvious reason; that’s where Bubby attended, when she attended. The next building over was 1291 Eastern Parkway. On the Buffalo Avenue side, the stores in that building fronted more than half of that block. The first one was a grocer, followed by a butcher, followed by a fruit and vegetable concern run by man named Sam and then a shoe repair shop. At the corner of Buffalo and Eastern Parkway was a luncheonette/candy store run by the August brothers. My father was a friend of the August brothers. I don’t think that they were still the owners by the time I was a child. In that building, 1291 Eastern Parkway or the next one east, lived my father’s Aunt Syd (Sadie Langsam) Kupperberg and his cousin Frances. Hymie Kupperberg widowed Syd in the forties. Syd later married Rabbi Nathan Zuber of Elizabeth, New Jersey. The last that I heard, Frances and her husband Alan Krebs were operating a bagel store in Edison, New Jersey. My father told me that when he was a delivery boy for a tailor shop during 1930’s, he had occasion to make a delivery to the apartment of the Dolly Sisters, who lived on Eastern Parkway between Buffalo and Ralph Avenues, I believe. Somewhere on the same block, my Aunt Nettie had, for a time, taken a room in the apartment of the mother of my father’s friend Morton Greene (Greenberg). On the northwest corner of Buffalo and Eastern Parkway, my father’s Aunt Florence (Fanny Kupperberg) Jacobson lived with her husband Al Jacobson, a motion picture projectionist. Her film projectionist brother, Alfred Kupperberg, had introduced Florence and Al to each other. Was there a shortage of given names in 1900? My Bubby Kupperberg’s children were named Al, Hymie, Anna, Sadie (Shirley) and Fanny (Florence). Al married Anna Tockman. Hymie married Sadie Langsam. And Fanny married Al Jacobson. Only Shirley who married Ralph Heyman and her sister Anna Kupperberg broke the sibling name-circle, marrying Edward Popkin. Anna and her son Arthur Popkin owned the Pontiac dealership in Rockville Centre Long Island on the Sunrise Highway. Midway on that block, between Buffalo and Rochester Avenues there was a small shull where my Aunt Phyllis and Uncle Mitzi were married. The exterior of that shull is featured in the 1968 Sidney Lumet film, “Bye Bye Braverman,” starring George Segal. This film is a MUST SEE for all of those with fond memories of Eastern Parkway and of Brooklyn in general. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to be in any sort of release, currently. On the corner of Rochester Avenue at 1209 Eastern Parkway was a luncheonette/candy store run by a Harry and Flo. They later ran another luncheonette/ candy store in East Flatbush on Remsen Avenue and Avenue B. My grandmother Rose Kaye was a member of the temple at Rochester and Lincoln Place, at least long enough to get my Uncle David Bar-Mitzvahed when I was five, circa 1958. She sewed costumes for the temple shows. I remember a luncheonette/candy store on the corner of St. Johns Place and Rochester Avenue. I recall it as a rather dim, dank place, but I remember my mother buying Charm Pops for me there. Coming around the block, on St. Johns back towards Buffalo, I believe there were several stores, including a (kid’s?) shoe store. Then, most of a block consisting of smaller, multi-family dwellings. In one of those, closer to Buffalo Avenue across St. Johns Place from Unity Hospital, were the offices of a Doctor Gerstenhaber where I received diathermy treatments. In 1957, I lost a game of chicken with the huge iron front door at 261 Buffalo Avenue and severed my left thumb. My mother rushed me across the street to the Unity Hospital, where I underwent successful reattachment surgery. I can recall the visit to the office of the Portuguese surgeon, Dr. Mariaskin’s office on Eastern Parkway, up near the Brooklyn Museum, to have the cast and stitches removed. Looking at the result of his handiwork (!) he tsk-tsked and declared, “the child will never be able to bend this thumb.” At which point, my mother recalls, I promptly bent it. And I still can. The diathermy treatments were a follow up. My pediatrician was named Dr. Gittelman and he had his offices on Eastern Parkway near Kingston Avenue. My mother reports that he was a short gentleman who bore a resemblance to Irving Berlin. In any case, a bit beyond the Dr. Gerstenhaber’s office commenced another row of stores fronting St. Johns Place in the apartment building at 260 Buffalo Ave. Among these were a Laundromat and a Chinese restaurant, with the Congress Delicatessen on the corner. The Congress Deli had a large metal neon sign hanging from brackets out from the building’s façade, at the corner. I remember that during the hurricane of September 1959, the wind sent the crazily swaying sign crashing to the street. The sign went back up after the storm. But, to this day, one can still see the anchor brackets in the façade that once held the Congress Delicatessen neon sign. Around the corner, on Buffalo between St. Johns and Lincoln Places, there was one store, beyond the Deli. In the early fifties it had been a fruit and vegetable store that was taken over by my mother’s Uncle, Herbie Handshuh and his friend Izzy Berman and transformed into a commission bakery (no baking done on the premises). Later, it was taken over and run by my parent’s friends, Phyllis and Max Schindler. They have a son, Mitchell. Later, Herbie Handshuh worked at the Sears Roebuck store on Flatbush Avenue selling Kenmore washing machines in the basement. It was through Uncle Herbie, by way of his employee’s discount that I purchased my first drafting table. Herbie was married to a nice woman named Hilda and they had a beautiful daughter, Mara. Mara was struck and killed by a car while bicycling. They’re all gone now. Crossing Buffalo Avenue, we’re back at my building, 261, the “Buffalo Terrace.” Below our apartment, on the corner was the Sun Ray Cut Rate Store, a pharmacy. The next store on St. Johns Place was, in many ways, the heart of the neighborhood. “Flemmys” Candy Store. Mr. and Mrs. Flamenhoff ran it. Mr. Flemmy was a fairly squat, sturdy character. Irascible and speaking with a vague European or Yiddish inflection, I found him to be a veritable fountain of non-sequitors. Proffering my nickel for a cookie from the glass case atop the front counter (perhaps a Mallomar or a pair of shortbread wafers with a Joyva-type jelly in between and chocolate jimmies around the jellied perimeter?), Mr. Flemmy might admonish me to, “go home and shoot your brother!” Or to my four-year old self, on a Sunday morning in August, he might bark, “why aren’t you in school?” My father relayed the story that Flemmy told of his days in France as a doughboy during the First World War. In this instance, Flemmy had made it to a delousing station behind the lines and been given a fresh, clean uniform and puttees. Having divested himself of his vonce-ridden uniform and holding it at the end of a stick at arms length, Flemmy was approached by a ragged Frenchman, a beggar to whom Flemmy offered his worn, infested uniform. The grateful Frenchman cried, “Merci, merci!” Referring to the lice, Flemmy replied, “They didn’t have mercy on me, they wouldn’t have mercy on you!” Flemmy’s son was Fred Flamenhoff, and he became a very successful producer for NBC News, up through the 1980’s. My father and Fred were friends when they were growing up. One of my favorite Flemmy Fables occurred during forties. Fred and Dad, with several other friends were lazing in front of the candy store. Freddy was reclining on a folding chaise lounge, snoozing in the sun. Mr. Flemmy walked out of the store where he’d been hard at work, to catch a breath of air. He stood there in his apron for a moment and balefully regarded his son’s recumbent figure. Finally, in that Yiddish accent, he thundered, “So, you on a rampage again, you bastard?” Mrs. Flemmy was taller, non-accented and a nice grandma-type woman that I could relate to. Or at least I could understand her. Her malteds were ambrosia and she made the best chocolate egg creams, you bet (!). A two-cents plain still cost two cents back then. A fountain Coke was a nickel. The counter and fountain were on the left hand side of the narrow store. My father could buy loose Camel cigarettes from Flemmy for two cents apiece. Along most of the back wall was an enormous candy showcase, at least four feet high with shelving above it with other merchandise. I seem to remember huge sliding glass panels on the candy case. But you had all your packaged brand candies in there, like your Bonomos Turkish Taffy (yum) and your Nik-L-Nips, as well as loose penny candy items such as Pixie Stix and button candy, on paper strips (yuck). But it was along the right hand side of Flemmys Candy Store that I discovered my life’s passion and my life’s work. There were two, to maybe four small tables with seating for customers. On one of the rear tables, Flemmy had a stack of comic books for sale. At this remove, I don’t recall if they were current issues or second-hand, but I believe they were all new. Whatever is the case, that’s where I bought my first comic book. An issue of Popeye the Sailor, published by Gold Key. I was hooked. Today, almost fifty years later, I remain a working cartoonist/comic book artist/writer, having drawn, among many other titles, the Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk and Iron Man comic books for Marvel Comics and drawn the Howard the Duck syndicated comic strip running daily in the New York Post as well as (Little Orphan) Annie in the Daily News. (You may view some of my work at my web site: http:// alankupperberg.com as well as at: http://comicartcommissions.com/Kupperberg71.html) Thank you Flemmy, for my career. My comic book collecting (as opposed to reading) activities also began on St. Johns Place at Ralph Avenue, on the northwest corner, perhaps five years later. One or two narrow shops west of the candy store (naturally) on the corner, was a second hand bookstore run by a young fellow named Dave Solomon. I only discovered his last name in the seventies when I lived on Argyle Road between Church Avenue and Caton Avenue. Dave had moved his concern several times and had now set up shop on Argyle Road at Church Avenue. By then I was a professional artist and Dave was thrilled that an alumni of his establishment had “made it” into print. The north side of St. Johns Place, between Buffalo Avenue and Ralph Avenue began with a linoleum store on the corner that sold Congoleum© brand floor coverings. Beyond this was a grocery store run by the two Dudtka Brothers. They would figure your total in pencil on the paper bag then load the bag with your groceries. I remember I could get discarded wooden Breakstone’s Cheese boxes from them to use as raw material for class projects once I began Kindergarten on September 9, 1959 at P.S. 191 on Park Place between Buffalo Avenue and Ralph Avenue. My Kindergarten teacher was a Miss Greenberg, who has, in my mind’s eye, morphed into a twin for Miss Francis on “Ding Dong School.” Towards the middle of the block was Flo Karr’s Hardware Store. Her store had been next to Flemmys but she moved across St. Johns Place to larger accommodations. I think she had two storefronts combined. Later she moved the store to Seaview Avenue by Rockaway Parkway in deepest Canarsie. A dry cleaning establishment took the space next to Flemmys. Tannenbaum’s Bakery was next to a supermarket down the block past the hardware store. I don’t recall if it was part of a chain or an independent. I do recall a Key Foods market on Ralph Avenue, north of St. John’s place. A neighborhood character from at least the late 1930’s through at least the late 1960’s was a fellow who, behind his back, was called Crazy Eddie. To his face, he was Cap’n Eddie. When I was a child, I remember him shining shoes. He was mentally and/or emotionally handicapped, but a decent fellow, as I recall. The last time I remember seeing Eddie was in the very late 1960’s and we were living on East 89 Street between Avenue B and Ditmas Avenue by then. I was in the car with my father and we were stopped at the vast and busy intersection of Kings Highway, Remsen Avenue and Linden Blvd. And Eddie was standing in the middle of this traffic, hawking key chains or some such. My father rolled down his window, and called out, “Ahoy, Cap’n Eddie.” Eddie turned. One hand shot to his mouth, where he proceeded to bite his fist. His other hand, index finger extended, pointed at my father. And through his fist he cried out in recognition, “Sidney the Boffer!” My father laughed and gave Eddie a buck as the light changed and we drove on. I asked him why Eddie had called him “Sidney the Boffer?” My father replied, rather airily, “Oh, there was a rumor that I had been with a particular girl, way back. But that was a base canard.” The building superintendent for both 261 and 273 Buffalo Avenue was a woman named Anna Yarmy and she had a front apartment in 273. She had a son Petey, who was a young police officer. He was shot in the head with his own service revolver. As I remember the story, he was parked in a car somewhere with his girlfriend. He was showing her the gun, letting her handle it and it went off. Petey survived, with a disability and stayed with the force working a desk job. My great grandmother Bubby Kupperberg had a cousin, George Coyne (married to a lovely woman named Mae. I loved Mae and George). George ran a printing concern called Coyne Press and they had the contract to print the New York Bell Telephone Yellow Pages. George had a widowed sister with an epileptic daughter. They lived in relative seclusion in a darkened front apartment at 261 Buffalo Avenue. When I asked my father why our street had what I considered to be a strange name, he replied that it was because a family of buffalo had taken up residence on the topmost floor of our apartment building. It took me quite a while to realize that I lived on the beginning (or end) of a string of avenues named for cities in New York State; Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, Schenectady, Troy, Albany, Kingston and (once upon an time an independent city) Brooklyn and finally New York Avenue. On the other side of Eastern Parkway at just a bit east of Buffalo Avenue is a short street named Portal Street, where the IRT New Lots subway line veers south, out from under Eastern Parkway and emerges and becomes an elevated line, on the east side of the Lincoln Terrace Tennis Courts. This is separated from Lincoln Terrace Park proper by Buffalo Avenue. Watching the trains rumble out into the sunlight from this portal, at eye level on up into the air was always very exciting to me. I’ve been a subway “buff” all my life. I loved to stand in the first car, my face pressed up against the glass, as the train hurtled through the tunnels or along the elevated tracks in the sky. I think that in the 1980’s several subway cars toppled over onto Portal Street. We lived between two very fine shopping districts, Utica Avenue and Pitkin Avenue. I loved the East New York Saving Bank at Utica Avenue and Eastern Parkway, especially the raised, low-fenced enclosure in front of the bank. I assume that in an earlier day it had featured a bit of landscaping or greenery. But by the time I came along, it was a barren, dusty feature that, to my childish mind’s-eye resembled nothing so much as a boxing ring. At the Yule Tide I think it may have boasted a Christmas tree. In any case, I know now that it wasn’t the Eastern Parkway Arena from which Dennis James broadcast the “fights,” in the early days of television. The gilded inside of the bank was pretty impressive, as well. And one could always score a fistful of deposit slips. A kid could draw on the blank backs of the slips. I still have a bunch of those slips containing my crude drawings, which were originally bunked away by my Aunt Nettie.
I also recall the Manufacturers Trust branch on Utica Avenue and Lincoln Place. The bank slips there had carbon paper between the copies of the slips, also a handy acquisition. There was also children’s clothing store thereabouts called Dainty Kiddy. Between Lincoln Place and Eastern Parkway there was dress shop called Joyce Leslie. There was a Joyce Leslie shop in Manhattan on Eighth Street and University Place until July 2008. I passed it often and it always made me smile and recall the Utica Avenue venue. On still, quiet Sunday mornings, I could hear the church bells ringing all the way from Lincoln Place and Utica Avenue to Buffalo Avenue. I remember the Sam Ash Music store on Utica Avenue and St. Johns Place. Across St. Johns Place there was a family owned Jewelry Store on Utica Avenue, one store (the inevitable candy store; a Garcia Y Vega Smoke Shop) from the corner, at which my father purchased my mothers wedding ring. And I remember the A&P Supermarket on St. Johns Place, in what had been the Utica Theater. It seemed like the largest open interior space in the neighborhood to me. The vaulting ceiling high overhead had been painted white but it was still impressive. Employees would grind “Eight O’Clock Coffee” fresh for you and even to a five year old the aroma was delectable. I remember the many “Ann Page” items, the A&P house brand name. Observing the former Utica Theater and hearing my father’s stories of watching the demolition and removal of the original stone steps that graced the Brooklyn Museum, I first began to understand urban evolution. Now they’re tearing down buildings I watched them build. Of course, evolution can take some ironic turns. The Famous, a dairy restaurant became a McDonalds. My father saw John F. Kennedy campaign in front of Dubrow’s Cafeteria in 1960. I remember the seltzer dispenser in Dubrow’s as well as the one in the Knishery on St. Johns Place between Rochester and Utica Avenues. The knishery had previously been located on Flatbush Avenue. What terrific knishes. These days I can buy knishes at the Yona Shimmel Knish Bakery on Houston Street in “the city.” But the last few times I indulged I was terribly under whelmed, a crime at nearly three dollars apiece. However one can still purchase a pretty fair knish at Zabar’s. And rye bread. And sometimes, a tasty, reasonably priced shrink-rapped kishka. My mother’s grandmother “Dozie” (Rosie) worked on a farm on Eastern Parkway when she arrived in this country towards the end of the nineteenth century. I took my first art classes at the Brooklyn Museum. Nathan’s Famous ran the cafeteria concession at the Museum for several years. For many years the museum had a lightbox display of Indonesian shadow puppets opposite the entrance to the cafeteria and it always fascinated me. I was amazed and delighted to find some of my very own handiwork in that exact spot when the museum mounted a temporary exhibit about comic books in the early 1970’s. The museum did some remodeling in the late fifties or early sixties. The change that made the most impact on me was the change in the location of the entrance to the cafeteria from the rear of the room to the front. I practically grew up in the Brooklyn Museum. It was free and my father was cheap. But in the cafeteria he would spring for an orange drink and French fries for me and a cup of coffee for himself. As a kid I was strictly “gulp ‘n’ go!” No sitzfleisch. But my father wanted to relax and finish his Camel and his coffee. The time it always took for him to finish that cigarette defined my childish concept of eternity. The Main Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library featured a very fine children’s section that boasted it’s own special entrance. I received my first Library Card at the branch on Eastern Parkway at Schenectady Avenue. We also frequented the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. They had a Rose Garden that was spectacular in season. As a three or four-year old I managed to topple off of some raised platform and right into the thorn laden rose bushes. Studded with thorns I was rescued by my father and “plucked” by several Japanese doctors, tourists that happened to be passing by. I recall the Ripley’s Men’s Clothes Store on Utica Avenue as well as the one on Pitkin Avenue. The Twin Cantors lived near that corner on Eastern Parkway, I think. A fellow named Greenstein operated the Camera Exchange under a variety of names and locations on Utica Avenue, including shops at 204 and 822. He, my father and Al Lustig, a baby photographer, were members of the Lincoln Terrace Camera Club. Who remembers the Moss Brothers photography studio on Utica Avenue? At the bottom of the hill at the intersection of Empire Blvd, East New York Avenue, Remsen Avenue and Utica Avenue was another of my favorite taste sensations. The White Castle. To me, nothing could beat an orange drink and a couple of White Castles. I remember the heavy white crockery they in which they served the food and coffee and the spring loaded device that they stacked the dishes into that always kept the stack at an even height. One occasion when I was four or five years old, a few hours after visiting the White Castle, my parents observed me picking the lint off of a White Castle that I had stashed in the pocket of my winter coat for later delectation. White Castle gave me my first heartburn. The Jungle Jim Coconut Ices stand on Pitkin Avenue near Strauss Avenue had delicious ices. Also along Pitkin Avenue, our optometrist Dr. Pincus has a narrow shop. What stands out in my memory about his front window is the little white smocked figurine of a doctor holding a tray in one hand, with two little eyeballs sitting on it. In 1970 1 was an usher at the Albemarle Theater, and the Rialto Theater others on Flatbush Avenue. I recall the Lin “711” Fong Chinese restaurant on Flatbush Avenue and I remember that the Grotto D’oro Italian restaurant on Flatbush Avenue had a wonderful combination platter for two of Steak Pizziolla and Veal Parmesan. Lee’s of China Town where my parents had their first date (and my Mom had her first Martini) was on Flatbush Avenue as well. I hope I’ve been able to spark some memories out there. I know I’ve enjoyed setting these memories down for posterity.

Janet: 29th Oct 2008 - What a collection of memories--things that surely resonate throughout this remarkable site. Just a few comments, Alan, though the Rochester-Buffalo-Ralph neighborhood from St. Johns to Eastern Parkway was not our neighborhood. The Congress was always a "grander" movie house (more like one you'd find in Flatbush) and in the luncheonette on Rochester & St. Johns I often enjoyed an ice cream soda during the JHS 210 lunch hour. Did you know my dentist, Dr. Borowitz, whose office was on Buffalo just a door or two from St. John's? You remind me also of the used book store at Ralph. On the few occasions I went to the movies all the way up St. Johns (what was the name of the movie theatre around the corner from the Pitkin--just where St. John's Place ended or turned into another street? I remember distinctly seeing a Donald O'Connor/ Peggy Ryan movie there and walking home--a long distance!) I stopped at that bookshop whenever I passed and marveled at the stacks of National Geographics with color photos of remote places--the stuff that movies were made of. So much to recall and ponder from your article . . . (got married at The Twin Cantors). Thanks for the

Alan Kupperberg: 30th Oct 2008 - I live in Greenwich Village and I haven’t been back to that part of Brooklyn for over ten years. But as my father was a gifted amateur photographer, I have tons of photo reference. And I must admit that Google and Google Maps was a tremendous research aid as I prepared my comments. For those unfamiliar with that site and the features available on it, there is a “street view” that allows you to look around at eye level, 360 degrees. Not every map location has this feature, but 261 Buffalo Avenue sure has it. I also spoke to my mother several times for some specifics. I seem to remember some things better than she does, but she gave me a few memory jolts as well. I had not thought about the Dudtka Brother’s or their Breakstone’s Cheese boxes for forty years. Literally. Amazing that a memory can lie dormant and untouched for that long and yet bloom again like that. After all, what is memory? A chemical sequence set by an electrical impulse in the brain? It’s amazing. But however memory works, I think my artistic talent dictates part of MY brain wiring. If one cannot see something, one cannot reproduce it. I do not know if I see the landscape of life the same way a non-artist sees it, because I’ve never looked at it through other eyes. One way or another, I am a third-generation artist. Some memories are so vivid that I can “walk around in them.” On the other hand, concerning my memory of the Twin Cantors, I do not know why this information is in my head or how it got there. Maybe from a documentary I saw on PBS? But I was unsure if that was a “real” thing. I couldn’t find any info on-line about them. Gornisht. So, thank you Janet. Thanks to you, I know I’m not delusional. As to some of your other points, nope, I do not recall Dr. Borowitz. Our dentist was Abraham “Doc” Abramson, another one of my father’s crony’s from the Lincoln Terrace Camera Club. His office was on East 92 Street near Rutland Road and later near Utica Avenue and Flatlands Avenue. He was a nice man and a good dentist. I don’t think I attended any other neighborhood theaters than the Congress, the Pitkin and the Carroll Theaters. We moved out of the nabe when I was eight, so I hadn’t seen that many films yet. Most of my Brooklyn movie going was at the Canarsie Theater, The Rugby Theater, The Seaview Theater, The Granada Theater and the King’s Plaza Theater. And the theaters on Flatbush Avenue, including the Albemarle and Loew’s Kings. The only theater interior I can really recall is the Loew’s Kings. But I had forgotten the amazing National Geographic conglomeration that existed in Dave’s bookshop on Ralph Avenue. But as soon as you mentioned it, the vision of all those yellow magazine spines leapt to mind. Thanks again, Janet.

Alan: 30th Oct 2008 - Janet, I just realized that I have a photo of Dr. Borowitz's office window, that is, if he was directly above the Congress Deli. If you e-mail me at kupperberg@earthlink.net I will send you the illustrated version of my comments.

Janet: Thanks so much, Alan. Janet

Keith Bernstein: 30th Oct 2008 According to my recollection, the Twin Cantors catering hall was located on the southeast corner of Utica Avenue and Eastern Parkway with the entrance on EP. Thanks Alan for your wonderful memoir.

Stan: 31st Oct 2008 - Before the Eastern Parkway Arena was used for boxing it was also a roller skating rink. There was also one on Empire Blvd (the Empire Rollerdrome) near Ebbets field. There was also Freddie Fitzsimmons bowling alley on Empire Blvd. Freddie Fitzsimmons was a player for the Dodgers. On the corner across from the E.P.Arena was a yiddish theatre.

Richie Rubin: 1st Nov 2008 - does anyone remember: `Park East' bar/lounge next to
Twin Cantors' dayglow pink' lighting. [it was on E.P.
nr. Utica ave. across from `Famous' [veggy] rest.] their
`fake' meatloaf' was [almost] a dead ringer for da real
stuff!..no?& kugel [potato/luckshen [noodle] you would
kill for! but`Dubrow's' was da best! portions dat can
feed most 3rd world nations! & free seltzer! what a
crowd..& the bus to Aqueduct racetrack stopped on
corner in front of`Yomel's cigar/candy store,& then
da` characters 'hangin' out in Dubrow's would run out
to catch it..in any weather! what a`hood' in dem daze!

Alan Kupperberg: 1st Nov 2008 - Janet, I've confirmed that the movie theater located behind the Loew's Pitkin Theater was the Palace. My mother saw a re-issue of "Gone With The Wind" there during a blizzard in December of 1947.

Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 2nd Nov 2008 - I enjoyed this site very much. I graduated from PS167 in 1958. Now i will try to list you some of my memories. Kindergarten teacher Miss Shapiro. (there was another kindergarten class and teacher -Mrs. Pinkerton. She later worked as the school librarian, and organizing book sales.); first grade- Mrs. Shore(she used to have children come to the front of the classroom and explain their drawings);second grade - Miss Ashkenazi (married name- Mrs. Scwartz); third grade Mrs. Glassberg (she used to ask for a promise of quiet, close the door of the classroom, and go to buy ice cream and cookies for the class. she once said to me "nature isn't straight"; fourth grade-Mrs. Berkowitz, fifth grade Miss Guntz (she had bluish hair, lived on Long Island and used to come very early every morning), sixth grade- Mrs. Gradstein (she lived someplace near the Brooklyn Museum; seventh grade Mr. Klores (he used to have everyone write a weekend-log"", every monday morning they were all read and everyone made comments on how others spent their weekends); eighth grade-Miss Scanlan (she was also the sewing teacher). I remember some other teachers (Mrs. Gordon, Mrs. Eisenstein, Mrs. Franco, Mr. Allen, Mrs. Raftery (home economics), Mrs. hines and Mr. Littman [thanks for reminding me of them together. I wonder if they also read this site?], Mr. Lodato-principal, Mrs. Bessie Goldstein-assistant principal, one of the secretaries-mrs. Rosenzweig. I was a monitor: office, auditorium, stairs. I remember the lining up in the schoolyard or in the basement, sitting in the auditorium for lower grades, and the marching upstairs. Other memories: fire drills, and safety drills in 1951 of crouching in the corridor bagels on a wooden cart, Honey's, delicatessen (St. John's place and Schenectady Ave.) Waldbaum's (Eastern Parkway and Albany Ave.), Bernstein's on kingston Ave. near St. johns Place, The yeshiva of Eastern Parkway, the nice sculptured gardens in the houses on Eastern Parkway between Troy Ave. and the school, field days, excursions (fire dpt., Brooklyn Museum [music appreciation with David Levita], Bronx Park, bus passes, late slips. I lived on Sterling Place between Kingston Ave. and Hampton Place. there were 2 candy stores on the corners of Kingston Ave; Eddie and Al's, Izies. I had a girlfriend who lived around the corner-Brenda Patterson. if you know what happened to her please contact me I would love to renew contact with her. THANKS. i am willing to write to anyone who wants to write to me. I now live in Israel. Sometimes I miss Crown Heights.
Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 2nd Nov 2008 - I have tried to think of the words of the school song. This is all that I can remember. Can any of you complete/edit it? 
School song
The Parkway School: Dear Parkway school.
We give praise to your name
As we sing of your fame
As we think of the years gone by Loyal and true we shall be unto you
--?--:-
We had a school newspaper called "The Parkway Herald". the teacher in charge was Mrs. Friedman. She was tall and thin. There was a special class for gifted children called ESP. they had a typewriter in the room. It was for 5 & 6 graders. Most of them went on to SP (special progress) in PS 210. ESTHER

Alan: 2nd Nov 2008 - Richie, I think you may possibly be putting two different memories together. My mother was married on Buffalo Avenue in 1951 where you were Bar Mitzvahed in 1955. A narrowish "two family" brick building, mid-block with a small temple downstairs. The Rabbi lived in the back, I believe. I'm not sure. And the reception hall was upstairs. I do not know what that facility on Buffalo Avenue was called. Is it possible that you had the religious ceremony on Rochester Avenue and then walked a block to the reception on Buffalo Avenue? The Temple Pech Tak Tikvah was on the north east corner of Rochester Avenue and Lincoln Place. My uncle David was Bar Mitzvahed there in 1958. The Temple building was/is a dignified stone edifice, smack on the corner, though no longer a Temple. So the only thing in doubt is, which establishment was Pech Tak Tikvah? Of course, I wouldn't swear on a stack of bibles, natch. Obviously I have no facts. I'm just trying to reconcile my sources. Unfortunately, it seems that history ain't "the truth." It's a consensus of opinion, all fallible.
Richie Rubin: 2nd Nov 2008 - RABBI GREENBERG also had `MAD', Tales from the crypt',
& ALL Superhero commix [from `50'S]
what can WE say/type…as an old comic strip* [smokey
stover?] usta say: `them days are gone...forever'!
in: *Daily Mirror/News/Journal American?..whew!..

Stan: 2nd Nov 2008 - Just a note: I was bar mitzvahed at Petach Tikva in June 1943. It was on the corner of Rochester Ave. and Lincoln Place. The other Bar Mitvah with me was Gene Braunwald who lived opposite me on Eastern Parkway between Troy and Albany. Gene is now a Professor at Harvard and a renowned cardiologist who wrote the definitive text on cardiology now used in most med schools. I remember being president of the G.O. at PS 167 during WWII. Anybody remember those days? Anybody still around?

Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 2nd Nov 2008 - I think I remember the words to the school song a bit better now. How's this?
School song
The Parkway School Dear Parkway School
We give praise to shrine,
As we gaze at your flag on high.
Shouting your name
As we will add to your fame,
As we think of the years gone by.
Loyal and true we shall be unto you
Never tiring ----ing your _.
Praise the colors blue and gold,
Raise them to the sky.
Raise them overhead,
As we go proudly marching by.
---
I remember Assemblies: a teacher leading the singing, color guard, and voting for the GO movie, and sometimes there was a play.

Alan Kupperberg: 2nd Nov 2008 - Richie, my pop and I used to love "Smokey Stover" (by Bill Holman) and Smokey's cat, Spooky. "Nix nox." "Notary Sojack." Great nonsense. Anybody remember "Pottsy the Cop," (by Jay Irving)? Irving's nephew was famed Howard Hughes bio hoaxer, Clifford Irving. A beautiful strip, especially in color, in the Sunday papers. Remember "Dondi" (by Gus Edson and Irwin Hasen)? Irwin, who is 88 now, is a good friend of mine. We will both be appearing at the "National Show" Comic Book Convention in two weeks at the Hotel Pennsylvania. The late Gus Edson had drawn "The Gumps." Anyone recall "Maw Green?" Used to run under the "Little Orphan Annie" Sunday pages, also by Annie artist Harold Gray. MAD magazine used to be terrific. I have every issue. I got to know almost all those MAD and Tales From The Crypt writers and artists and they are (or were) almost all "maniacs." I worked for EC immortal Wally Wood in the early seventies, as his "ghost" on several comic strips. "Moon Mullins, Abner 'n' Slatts, Winnie Winkle, Joe Palooka, Major Hoople, Mary Worth or The Captain and The Kids/Katzenjammer Kids." Great strips. Most of them are gone. Strips used to be given huge column space in papers. Now it is like trying to read a row of postage stamps. Feh. I don't belong in this century.

Doc S: 3rd Nov 2008 - Hi, Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner) - 
I had contributed to this column briefly before.
In one of your earlier posts you had mentioned a Mrs. Gradstein as your sixth grade teacher, (Ida) Gradstein was my aunt on my mothers side of the family - my mother, also a teacher, and Ida were extremely close.

Stan: 3rd Nov 2008 - Teri: Don't know when you lived there, but I was born in 1934. My grand-parents (Zimmerman) took the apartment when we moved to 919. Next door to 1074 lived Herbie Prince, Mike Lyman and Howie Sapon. Howie and I were in the navy togther in '51

Alan Kupperberg: 3rd Nov 2008 - Yeh, Richie, FEH! Wit' d'hand! Sometimes when my father smelled a bad odor he'd say, "Lima, Peru!" really drawing out the Peru. He might also say, "Billy Eckstine!" in the same circumstances. Accent on the "ecks." I must've been almost an adult when I discovered Billy Eckstine was a real person. In the movie bio of Lenny Bruce, "Lenny," starring Dustin Hoffman as Lenny, he's visiting his mother Sally Marr and his Aunt Mima. And he's being inappropriately vulgar at the dinner table. And his Aunt Mima starts "geshrying," "Feh, feh!" And Lenny/Dustin tells her she sounds like a flock of "Jewish seagulls."

Keith Bernstein: 3rd Nov 2008 - I would like to add some comments about Mrs. Ida Gradstein. I thought her to be an effective teacher and a sweet lady. The mention of her name brought back some memories of my sixth grade class at PS 167 in 1958-59. Unless I have the wrong date (Teri, you'll have to chime in here), the summer of 1958 brought great changes to the building. The walls had been painted and the old combination folding seats/desks bolted to the wooden floors in single rows had been removed. When we lined up in front of our classroom, we were not permitted to enter the room, because inside there were stacks of new movable desks (two students per desk) and separate chairs. I also think that the old wooden floors had been covered with new linoleum. When we were allowed inside, the boys unstacked the desks and removed the brown paper that covered them and we arranged the room according to Mrs. Gradstein's instructions. The new furniture was a great improvement; the old seats and desks were very narrow and the desks had inkwells, holes where jars of ink were placed for nib pens before the advent of ballpoint pens. The replaced furniture was quite old and probably was part of the original construction of the building, which, so far as I can tell, was completed in 1911.For some insight about Mrs. Gradstein: That year, our class used an American history textbook which dated from the 1930s and referred to "The World War," as book predated WWII and Korea. During our reading about slavery, the authors stated that the Africans who were kidnapped and enslaved were better off here than in Africa. Mrs. Gradstein took great exception to this statement and we had a spirited discussion about how wrong the authors were. The funniest thing that happened that year was the time one of the boys (he was considered an odd duck by many of us) came to class carrying a full-length fur coat that he found on the way to school. The sight of a short boy with this huge coat gave us all a good laugh. Mrs. Gradstein identified the fur as muskrat and we all took to calling him "Muskrat". Even Mrs. Gradstein called him "Muskrat" for a while. That really was a fine year. We had a Rexograph in our room, and I was the Rexograph monitor. For those who may not remember, a Rexograph was a machine that used white plastic stencils attached to a rotating drum to make multiple copies and printed in a violet color. The ink was volatile and had a pungent aroma that was retained on the copies. Our class published a magazine once or twice a year; I think it was called the Spotlight. I played piano and recorder in the school orchestra, which was lead by one of the teachers who was a professional sax/clarinet player (I can't remember his name) and I belonged to the recorder club (which he also ran), which met after school once per week. I still have the music notebooks in which I copied music that the teacher had written on blackboard at recorder club meetings some fifty years ago. Those notebooks were purchased at Sam Ash, located at 242 Utica Avenue, between Union and St John's. Our class was picked to participate in a current events radio program on WNYE which was listened to in many schools (our class had a radio, and we listened to WNYE in class on a regular basis), and three of my classmates got to participate in the program. The whole class went to the studio (in Manhattan?) and watched the broadcast. We also took a trip to Manhattan to visit the Chemical Corn Exchange Bank that spring. Unfortunately, PS 167 has fallen on hard times. The Architectural survey contains many pictures of the building, showing its poor state of repair. The pictures may, however, bring back memories of the building for those of us who have not seen it for many years. One thing I don't remember was a school song. Perhaps its use was limited to seventh- and eighth-graders (I left PS 167 after the sixth grade) or maybe it was abandoned at some point in time. I do remember the assemblies with the color guard (we had to wear white shirts/blouses and red ties on assembly day) and voting for the GO movie. I remember that one year the movie was "Calamity Jane" starring Doris Day. I also remember that every June we had "Field Day" at Boy's High Field. It was all long ago but filled with (mostly) happy memories. I hope my memories have rekindled some of yours, which you will then share with us.
Esther Herschman: Mrs.Gradstein was my sixth grade teacher in 1955-6. I remember the old furniture. I never new it had been changed up till now. There were fruit and vegetable stores across the street from the school on Schenectady Avenue. The store on the Eastern Parkway corner was called the "Big Apple". Avocadoes and eggplants were sold there. My Mother said that these were for the "neuvo-rich". There were crossing guards on Lincoln Place and Schenectady Ave. There was a school supply store on Schenectady Ave., between Lincoln and St. John's Place. It was terribly crowded with merchandise. There was a blind man who owned/worked in the cigar store on Kingston Ave. and St. John's Place. There was a Chinese laundry on St. John's Place near Albany Ave. The calculations there were done on an abicus. Do any of you remember the "honor roll" and honor badge made of a different color ribbon every year? The last day of school pupils would come, wearing very nice clothes and their honor badges, which were pinned on with a safety pin. In the lower grades there was inspection every morning: shiny shoes, a handkerchief (sometimes pinned on if clothes were without pockets, and a pencil and an eraser on the desk. The St. John's Place bus and the Kingston Ave. bus were attached to cables overhead. there was a little park that took up one city block on Kingston Ave. corner Park place to Brooklyn Ave. corner Prospect Place. The Children's museum was located across the street on Brookyn Ave. corner Prospect Place. We had graduation exercises in the Boys High Annex, which was next to PS 138 (about Nostrand Ave. and Prospect Place?). The girls had to sew their own dresses for graduation. I actually learned how to sew from Miss Scanlan.

Richie Rubin: 4th Nov 2008 - Esther H; Dem St. Johns pl. buses* were powered by 2[two]
overhead electric wires [`TRACKLESS TROLLEYS'] the last
one ran in 1960. WE [St. Johns Boys] usta `hitch'` em by
hangin' on in back & jump off @ OUR leisure! as far
as I know, no kid was ever hurt doing this derring-do
feat!..oh, &`SAM ASH' music was on Utica `twixt lincoln
& St. Johns pl. then moved to corner of Utica/St. Johns in
`60..& dem `field daze'@ boys high field on maple st.
..did anyone else out there go swimming @`Betsy Head'
pool in brownsville or St. George hotel in b'klyn hts?
or tues. nite fireworks in coney isl? when steeplechase
was still open! yaaay!..what summers!..no?

Keith Bernstein: 4th Nov 2008 - Hi Richie--a trifecta between two Tilden guys. My father took me to the St. George pool during the 1950s and once to Betsy Head pool around 1960 and to the Coney Island fireworks several times. Here's one for you: have you ever been to a shvitz (steam bath)? My father and grandfather took me to one in Coney Island during the summer of 1956 when I was eight years old. I went swimming there and had my first steam bath. Afterwards, we slept on the roof on cots in the open air. The next day, we went to Shatkin's knish store (I think that's the name) on Surf Avenue. A great memory!
Richie Rubin: 4th Nov 2008 - ALAN K: `Coney Island Joes' [in brownsville/E.N.Y]W/ train
tracks behind da joint…yep, great `hotdogs' [franks were
made of 100%beef[parts]&greasy fries! I usta work a few
blks down Linden Blvd @ COCA-COLA bottling plant nr
Georgia st. in early`60's, did anyone ever go to the
`batting cage'/min. golf on Penn. ave. nr Belt pkwy?
[before `Starrett City' was `born'] & the Children's Mus.
on b'klyn ave. had a subway model electric train that
WE could operate by pressing a button. did WE `fight'
over that few mins. to run the `subway'! hey! do go to: http://www...nycsubway.org & hit cars, pre-unification,
all pix of dem clankity old trains WE rode in `50's
&`60's..a real `pisher'!..& plenty of memories! like
overhead fans that wet/sandy towels were thrown into
on dem svetchink/steamy N.Y. summers coming back from
coney isl/brighton beaches. whew!...pheh! did dem trains
shmell..bad!...

Alan Kupperberg: 4th Nov 2008 - Yep, Richie, I remember the Coca Cola bottling plant on Linden Blvd between Georgia and Pennsylvania Avenues. Grandma Ann and Aunt Nettie lived in Starrett City. Coney Island Joe's was little more than a hut or a shack. This morning I was trying to remember what that "hill" behind Coney Island Joe's was. Now I realize that I lived a block away from that same rail line near Remsen Avenue near Ditmas. Never put two and two together before. Great old subway cars w/rattan seats stuffed w/horse hair. When the rattan frayed and broke you could get "stabbed" in the leg or in the posterior. Later they covered the horse hair with red leatherette. Remember how the motors hummed and whined? And the sound of the compressors for the air-brakes? How about the enter/exit vestibules at either end of the car? Great rolling stock. When the Uptown Lexington IRT Express pulled around that curve and into the 42 Street station the rails would "scream." Also, I miss them old "Ralph Kramden" buses. I used to hitch on the back of the Church Avenue bus. In galoshes yet! You couldn't hitch on the "new" buses. Nothing to grip or stand on. Nertz. Remember the fare box on the bus? That whirling doohickey (a coin counter? ) on the side of it? The lever the driver would hit to drop the change into the lock box? Back then the driver would make change for you. Or you could pay with those dime sized tokens. Hey, pull the cord, this is my stop! And the rear doors would open automatically, no pushing needed, driver operated. Enjoyed the Children's Museum. I think it's at a different location now. I just picked up the fixin's for chicken/matzoh ball soup and tonight I will slurp my way to Nirvana. (which is just next door to Joyva, a suburb of Halvah.)

Bob: 4th Nov 2008 - Alan, Childrens Museum at same locale, between Brooklyn
and Kingston Aves on St. Marks place. It's ultra mod
now a sign of the times.

Richie Rubin: 4th Nov 2008 - ALAN K; oy! joyva hal-a-vah..esp. choco. covered tidbits,
[& da jell-filled ones too! WE musta consumed 1,000's
of dem deadly `penny candies' in OUR` yout' no? ant
local `candystore' was literally a`killink field 'all
dat crap WE swallowed/digested is now startink to
take its effects. no?. but kishke hadda be da `deadliest'
item WE ate..MY kin put @ least 6 [six] chick'n' fat in
da recipe…imagine:a qt. of shmaltz soaked up by a kilo
of flour & udda `stuff'& crammed into a cows `gut' [1[one]
of several `guts']..& followed by a servink of: p'chah!
thence a blob of chopped liver [w/more cholesterol than
most 3rd world nations consume in a yr!] & WE'RE shtill
`kickink'. no? by da numbers [of fat/chol.] WE digested thru
all dese yrs. WE shudda been dead 5 yrs ago!...PHEH! on
all dem statistics!...let's eat!...[lungen stew sure was
a`killa']...no?

Alan Kupperberg: 4th Nov 2008 - Richie, I've gotta admit I have no affection for organ meats, except for chopped liver. So lungen stew doesn't sound appealing to me. Your family's recipe for kishke sounds like "moider!" I don't think I've ever had p'chah or even a cholent. My old man'd eat those goodies. My parents liked to go to Michele's restaurant on Flatbush Avenue and Sterling or Park Place and he'd have sweetbreads. He also loved to slurp "ersters" at Lundy's in Sheepshead Bay. Most of these food items hold no allure for me, alas. Might try a cholent though, in the slow cooker. How about a "bissel schtick smoked sturgeon? Or a nice smoked chub or white fish? A good whitefish salad can't be beat. Lox is okay, by me. Vita herring in sour cream and sliced onions? And in a pinch, a can of King Oscar Sardines (in tomato sauce) is okay when it sitz on a Ritz. Did you have Aunts that always only wanted a "sliver" of cake. Maybe they'd eat ten slivers. But they hadda be slivers. Ebinger's made a terrific Blackout cake, as has been frequently mentioned here. Oy, am I making myself hungry.

Suzy R. (gradstein): 5th Nov 2008 - to: Esther Herschman (Rechstschafner), Teri, and Keith Bernstein- 
My cousin, Doc S, just clued me into this site. I am Ida Gradtein's daughter, and it really makes me feel good to hear the nice things you are saying about her. I know that she considered it her mission to see that her students succeeded, even if it meant doing some special things, such as giving a student with poor hand coordination a spelling test orally in the back of the room, letting a student who was better at math than she was, teach a particular lesson, etc. 
Some of you may know me, as every once in a while, particularly in the early 1950's, she would bring me in for a day to her class. 
I went to P.S. 9, but then to John Marshall Junior High, and then to Erasmus Hall....and then escaped Brooklyn, for college, only to return for Med School at Downstate...I eventually escaped, and finished my residency way across the country and stayed there, only to return for family things....
Esther Herschman): 6th Nov 2008 - for Suzy R.
I remember you. Your Mother (Mrs. Gradstein) was my 6 grade teacher in 1955-6.Perhaps she brought you to school then. A classsmate of mine, Sharon, who lived on Lincoln Place and Troy Ave, and I once went on a walk with you, with your Mother's pemisssion. We once decided to walk to your house and visit you, but were embarrassed to ring our teachers doorbell. She also went on to PS 210. I finished PS 167 and then went on to Erasmus. The first year was in he annex (Lenox Rd. & E.49 St. [if I remember correctly]). Simultaneously, I studied in Marshalliah Hebrew High school. Your Mother had us on special reading program. I read many books that year. She would have private conversations with every student about the books they read.
Richie Rubin: 8th Nov 2008 - Suzy; picture dis: Your Mom [Mrs. gradstein] cranking up that old
PS 167`Victrola'in the auditorium for: `music appreciation'
WE `Rock & Rollers 'didn't really dig dat `Longhair' stuff
`til now! & WE never imagined having `long hair a decade
or so. in da future! no? Mrs. Dreeben & miss Hines also
cranked up dat `victrola' as did Mr. Lodato [our principal}
& Mrs. Tillman et al; but never Mr. `maxie' Allen' [ Lipshitz]
he taught science. period. just as I graduated. Mr. awkins
became PS 167's music teacher replacing Mr. clark, oh, `moe'
klores was one of MY teachers alwaze well dressed...no?
does anyone remember Miss Pinkerton & Miss Freidman? both
MY kindergarten teachers![1947-8].. gee, I can remember way
back then...clearly..but I still can't find MY keys! [`lost'
last night?]..FEH!
Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 12th Nov 2008 - Why isn't anyone writing anything? I think that I shall have to write again. I remember the window of the Famous restaurant bakery. It wasn't like any other bakery window. It was rectangular and it always only displayed 2 cakes. The doors and front wall were beige and brown. As I have written before, Mrs Shapiro was my kindergarten teacher. Mrs. Pinkerton was the kindergarten teacher in the next room. (room 111, if I remember correctly?) Mr. Klores was my 7 grade teacher. He used to talk a lot about his family. does anyone remember the story of his arrival in America. His older brother (12), jumped into the water at Ellis Island and swam ashore with Mr. Klores (age 3) under his arm. No one has mentioned Mrs. Franco. She taught history, when I was in 8 grade. The room # was 408.Now i remember the names of some of the musical pieces in "Music Appreciation": To a Wild Rose, To a Water Lily.

Sanford : 12th Nov 2008 - I found your recollections of the stores and and places of that time very touching. My social skills at the time were nil so I don't have any memories of you. My first and second grade teacher was Miss Fannen, third grade Mrs Goldstein and fourth grade Mrs Newman. And I do remember the august principal Mr. Lodato. Anyway let me add these snippets -- Boys uniforms of white shirts with clip on tie and dark pants. Chestnuts in wintertime and salt bagel pretzels sold in front of the school. There were still horse drawn National Linen delivery trucks (there were then still teamsters who were teamsters). Enjoyed reading in My Weekly Read about Pres Truman. I felt so proud of myself wearing that yellow honor roll ribbon for good report cards. The social studies were laughable by today's standards - Rudyard Kipling and White Man's Burden stuff. Class sizes were over 40. There was quite a diverse ethnic mix of students - Jewish, Italian, WASP and African-American. Carried lunch in a tin basket. Staircases were furnished in ironwork and wire mesh glass. Though WWII was several years past it cast a very heavy sadness. The kids still chanted ditties taunting Hitler and Mussolini. Whispered conversations about the Rosenbergs. On Memorial Days thousands of soldiers carrying their weapons would parade on Eastern Parkway, all the veterans like my uncle in the crowds wearing flowers and saluting the flags carried before each battalion. The school year extended from mid September to late June.The fish store on Sterling Place had big tubs of live fish. The pharmacy had tile floors and smelled sharp from pine oil disinfectant. Across the street was a corner grocery next to a telephone service with ladies wearing headsets pulling and connecting wires. Do you remember the joyous announcement at school in spring 1955 of the discovery of the polio vaccine?

Richie Rubin: 14th Nov 2008 - Yeah, dem N.Y.C. street games. . . how innovative WE were! A `Spauldeen' made a day of fun/excercise/kvetching, etc.
WE played into da nite. no? did anyone else fill their
`checkers [bottlecaps] w/wax? to make`em heavier? & did 
anyone play `Chinese' [against a wall] those were `city'
games, but when WE went away for the summer [catskills,
beach, bungalows f-a-r away from b'klyn. WE played
different`games', swam, hiked, picked berries, rode
horses/ponies, did `farmchores', talent shows, had
`summer crushes', gee, dem 3[three] mos. seemed like
years!..but come september: back to School & our
city lives!..what times!..no?..

Allan: 14th Nov 2008 - Richie, I was one of the lucky kids to go to Catskills in the summer. Stayed at different bungalow colonies in Sullivan County. Great times. I still visit that area frequently enough and recall memories from way back. As I got older I worked in many of the no longer existent hotels. Even went to school there.

Allan

Richie Rubin: 14th Nov 2008 - Allan, LAST TIME I WAS UP @ Catskills: Hassidim!..lots of`em.
I saw them washing dirty diapers in MY old bungalow colony's
swimming pool[in eve when no one was around!, free bleach!
& like YOU wrote: most hotels `kaputsky'I remember when they
brought up Gambling Ca$ino$ in all LARGE hotels..it was
turned down. alas, Catskills would $till be thriving! no?

Allan: 14th Nov 2008 - Concord Hotel building has been razed and a multi-billion $ hotel/casino is being built on that site. Property all around is/has been bought up, probably for associated functions or businesses. Did you ever swim at 'Old Falls'? We used to use float tubes by the falls and go downriver as far as we could. We kids used to dive or jump off of the bridge or the 2 big rocks below the bridge. There were a few hangouts for youngsters and young adults back then (50's through 70's). Those places are long and recently gone. Swimming no longer permitted in the river there too! Like I said, growing up back then, either in Brooklyn or the Catskills, was great. We just really didn't appreciate it at the time. Allan

Richie Rubin: 15th Nov 2008 - AAAAY-Men! WE now realize what a terrific life WE had back then,
`twas the age of in-no-sense. no? it all `died' in Nov.`63,when
JFK was killed. no? what a week that was! WE watched the killing
of his assassin Lee Harvey Oswald on tv! by Jack Ruby. what did
really happen? still centurys biggest mystery! WE'LL never know
why it happened! & 5 yrs later: JFK's brother, Bobby Kennedy same
fate! yeah, the `fun' ended as fast as it began! but the music
was great! The `British Invasion' took over the airwaves.. whew!
even `Murray the K' was named `fifth beatle' [by Murray..natch!]
did anyone else out there attend a `Murray the K 'Rock&Roll show
@ B'klyn Fox or Paramount downtown? when the`Ronettes were
`Murray the K'S Dancing Girls'? now, that was a relief/ escape
from events in`63-`68,alas,`Murray the K' died yrs ago!& with
him..those fun shows!...

Richie Rubin: 15th Nov 2008 - ALLAN, Yep, dem daze are gone..4-ever! & I had both albums `Paragons meet the Jesters' &`Rumble' then Link Wray came
out w/an instumental: `Rumble' all in mid`50's,sure there
were`gangs' in our `hood[mostly in Albany & Kingsboro projects
& many members went to P.S.167. I knew a few, but there were
no`driveby' shootings [no one had cars!] just `gangwars' w/fists, garrison belts, bats, brass knucks, stickball` sticks, & sometimes
knives &`zipguns' made in shop class that hardly worked! there
was: Pigtown, Chaplins, Bishops, jonquels, st. Johns Dukes, Blackhawks,
Homicides,& the legendary Amboy Dukes; & many more in some `hoods
& they all had `Debs' [girl gang members] yet, w/all these `toughs'
`twas a much safer time.. WE could `hang out' anywhere w/o fear
of a`driveby' .no?..oh, even Tilden H.S. had `ave` L' boys' [from
Canarsie] oh, was anyone`scared' of the rumor that the `Fordham Baldies' were coming down from `da bronx' to shave heads of what
ever H.S.WE went to, & cut off girls ponytails & beat up our
H.S. teams?.. there never was a gang called `Fordham Baldies' it
was an`Urban Legend'..many of US believed!..no?
Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): - I remember getting polio vaccine. It was the only time I went to the nurses office on the second floor. I remember squatting in the corridor at the time of the Korean War in1951, and that everyone got dogtags. My Mother told me that the B on it stood for BAD. I remember the proms of PS 167 in PS 221. There was a parade of War Veterans on Sterling Place. Does anyone remember it. They were all quite old. Perhaps it was on Veteran's Day? I remember that some children had hot lunches in the girl's basement and about why the cook/waitress looked like. there was a lunchroom for children who brought their lunch with them. There was a time when milk and drinks were delivered to the classrooms at 10 AM. Whoever wanted something had to order a week earlier. Milk cost 4 cents and orange drink 10 cents. This was considered a luxury and expensive. Children who went with their families to upstate bungalow colonies always left school in the middle of June. I remember playing jump rope and bouncing a ball under my knee as street games. There were songs for these games. (A My name is Alice...; one-two, buckle my shoe..; Fire, Fire, false alarm......;) I can't think of any more now.
Allan: 19th Nov 2008 - Now that you mention it, I seem to recall two (2) basement areas. One for boys the other for the girls. The one for the boys was towards the west, I think(?). However, I don't recall any kids leaving early for summer bungalows. 
"Johnny on the pony 1, 2, 3". Allan

Keith Bernstein: 19th Nov 2008 - I also remember two basement areas in PS 167 used as gymnasia and remember receiving polio vaccine in the east basement area, probably in 1955. Esther has brought up an old memory. During the 1952-53 school year (I was in kindergarten with the aforementioned Miss Shapiro) we were issued "identification tags" that looked like our fathers' army "dog tags" that we were to wear to school every day. Years later, my mother told me that authorities were concerned that in the event of a sneak attack, our bodies would only identifiable by the metal tags worn around our necks. What a thought! Incidentally, I seem to remember that Miss Shapiro got married during that year. Aside from punchball and stoop ball, the favorite street games of the boys who played on EP (south side) between Troy and Schenectady were Hide-And-Go-Seek and Ringolivio. After fifty years, I still miss the knish store (it was called "Silver's", wasn't it?) on St John's Place between Utica and Rochester.

Richie Rubin: 19th Nov 2008 - ALL of YOU; there was a barbershop next to `Silver's knishes, Martin's' was it's name. & Ronson's 'drugs was on corner of
 St. Johns pl. & Utica from Miller's cigar store/luncheonette,
the `Corner bar' & Sam Ash [formally: Angelo the shoemaker] & does
anyone remember `Woolworth's on Utica nr. Lincoln? great grilled
cheese & malteds @ it's lunch counter, hmm, a real .5 &.10!& they
sold model airplanes/ships/cars...cheaper than hobby shops!..
& speaking of `cheap'..`Cheap Sam's' was on St. Johns pl. next
to`Freidman's sporting goods'…which had one of those x-ray
gadgets that WE saw OUR toe bones thru...I wonder if all those
years of [almost] daily x-rays...well..think about it! OY!

Richie Rubin: 20th Nov - Studebaker, Packard, Henry J. Kaiser, Frazier, Nash, LaSalle, Imperial, Checker, DeSoto, Oldsmobile, Hudson, Reo, Edsel, etc.
[most of US didn't own foreign cars. `til VW came to U.S.A in`50's,
& even then, they were rare!] hmm, I remember when `fedora' style hats
were `in'. ALL men looked like `mobsters'& wore suits… to boot!
then JFK went hat/suit/tie/less,& men's fashion changed 4-ever!

Allan: 21st Nov 2008 - If I recall correctly, and that's not likely, Judy O was a grade behind me and my brother a grade behind her. The building with the "courtyard" was down the block towards Utica. I lived closer to Schenect. There were a few kids in the two buildings that were centered by that courtyard. As I recall, there was a girl, Annette Gardner who lived there. She was my age. As I sit here a few other names come to mind: Barbara and Sarah Wallach. Both in my class. They were cousins but both lived in same building on the corner of Pres. & Schenect. Steven Frank (had polio that paralyzed an arm) and Joel Rosencrantz(?) are other names I recall. We used to play 'off-the-was', right near Schenect. I know we broke several windows on the side opposite the wall during those games. Also, we had to go to roofs a lot for balls hit on them while playing stickball.
Howard : 21st Nov 2008 - I saw Harry Truman in a motorcade campaigning for President riding through Eastern Parkway. It was Petach Tikvah (Gate of Hope) on Lincoln Place & Rochester Ave. For a couple of years Dubrow's had a large upscale ice cream store called The Founteria on Utica & Lincoln Pl. where you could make your own sundaes and be charged for the whole thing by a cashier. There was a Normandie Bakery on Utica Ave with excellent baked goods. Topps was the sporting goods store on Utica for baseball gloves, etc.

Allan: 21st Nov 2008 - Richie, I DID live in the same building as Judy O. We both lived on the first floor. I was in the front. Her family in the back. She had a male dog 'Nipper' and I had a female named 'Tippy'. We used to let them out in the back to do their stuff. Ended up with two litters from their mating as well. Now, if by 'courtyard' you mean a fairly large enclosed space between our building and the adjacent one, yes there was that. But it was at a lower level and more like just open space. From the front of the buildings you could access that area through the cellar stairs and passed the basement storage area. Beyond that area was a corridor to the backyard that was long, somewhat narrow, and bordered by the rooftops of garages of houses on President St. We used to play some games in that backyard, climb on the garage rooftops or hop over to President St. No, that name doesn't ring a bell. Allan

Richie Rubin: 22nd Nov 2008 - Allan; well, dat BIG space `twixt bldgs seemed like a `courtyard/ atrium'] WE [on St, Johns pl.] didn't have any`open spaces' like YOU Union st. kids had, but WE had a `backyard' w/fences
WE climbed over & were in a `strange' woyld'… some folks even had nice
fruit/ vegi.gardens [on Sterling pl.] & on `Google Earth' YOU can see
those `forbidden gardens! [or @ least where they were, 5+decades ago!

Allan: 22nd Nov 2008 - Howard, Now that you mention it, I do remember playing 'knucks'. Not recalling how the number of knucks were determined but I think we used a deck of cards. Something about you could decide to get hit with the knucks one way and it counted for 2 or another way that counted for 1. As I also recall, if you were the punisher you were not allowed to raise the deck more then a certain height. After all, we did have certain rules and limitations to the amount of cruelty we could hand out! I am certain that there were days that my knuckles were raw and days when they weren't. I recall heels of shoes being used for something but not exactly sure. I thought they were used for brakes on the 'streetcarts' we made. Remember the oranges crates nailed on top of a wood slab(usually the bottom of a bed frame)? Then you put the wheels from a roller skate under the slab. Bottlecaps would add some design to the cart. Marbles wasn't played that much but we did collect them as well as cards and comics. Gee, if we had only known how valuable they'd be years later." Tormenting the matron at the Carroll theater on Crown and Utica on Sat afternoon at the "matinee". Buying a Mother's Day gift at Dajul's on Utica." Definitely!!!!!

"The Chinese restaurant on Rutland Rd. on the second floor next to the El, where the tables shook when the trains went by." Yes! "Getting a BLT at Phil's on Montgomery & Utica." No, but we always went to the appetizing store right next to it, or at least nearby on Utica. We also went to the Deli on Utica off President St. "The "Pit", the pool parlor in the basement at Utica & ENY Ave." Yes, after I started high school(1959). I wasn't very good at pool so I only went there a few times. The 'Pit' also had bowling with the smaller balls and pins. Hit the 1/5 head on and all you knocked down were those 2 pins. A score of 100 was considered excellent. Friend of mine spent a lot of time there... Mark Birnbaum.Wow, everytime someone writes something it brings back memories. Allan

Allan: 22nd Nov 2008 - Does anyone recall the 'Field Day' that took place in June at a track field? I don't recall the name. As I recall, it was for the 7th and 8th graders at 167 and possibly other elementary schools? As I recall The Pit had 'Duckpin Bowling'. Allan

Stan: The track was Boys High Field.

Jane: 26th Nov 2008 - I had to comment. This is awesome. I was born in 1949 and I lived at 1587 Carroll Street which is between Carroll and Schenectady. I lived there until I was 12 years old. I went to PS 221. My memories are very fond ones and I wish that I could bring all of this back. It was a great time to grow up and we didn't have much but we had a lot of friends, loads of laughs and people were much nicer to each other. Does anyone remember the Sugar Bowl? It was a luncheonette. The owners were always betting on sporting events. On the corner of Carroll and Utica was a children's store called Tops and next to them was the Sugar Bowl. There was Jack's which sold the best appetizing in all of Brooklyn. There was Shore's grocery store, Dilberts which was a superette, Radow's hardware, Fried Pharmacy, a meat store called Arista and vegetable place and a fish store. I think the fish store was Tony's. The Deli was Joe's and a pizza store on the corner. Across the street Glowmart a beauty salon, Ganick a shoemaker, Ronnie Lynn a ladies specialty shop and Ben Rose which was also a ladies shop. I can remember Victory Card shop which sold toys. The lady that owned it was named Betty. On President Street I took dancing lessons from Miss Shirley at the President Chateau which was a wedding hall. Miss Shirley wore the nicest perfume. I wish I knew the name of it. Does anyone remember Joyland which was a children's shoe store? Harvery's Jewelers, Verson was a handbag store. My parents used to take me to the Carroll movie theater and we always ate across the street at a Chinese restaurant. The food was great and it was always crowded. That restaurant was on Utica between Crown and Montgomery. There was a beauty salon on the block of the restaurant called Rainbow. Above the Carroll movie was another dancing school run by a Miss Phyllis. Next to the Carroll was a Knish place. I remember the Normandie bakery and there was another bakery called Jay's Does anyone recall an Italian restaurant on the same block as the Twin Cantors? The restaurant had wonderful food. The tablecloths were red and white checked and on the tables there were lit candles. My cousins lived above the deli on St. John's and Schenectady that was mentioned a couple of times. The toy store was called Wolf's. It was a few door down from Henke's meat market where my mother bought the most delicious pork chops and steaks. St. John's Place had London and Fishberg which I think sold fruits and vegetables. I had another cousin who loved on St. John's and Utica above Ronson Drugs. Across the street on the corner was a bar and down the block was a pet shop called Hilltop. My cousins went to PS 167 and their last name was Ross. I hung out with Marcia Kaplan, Roberta Smigel, Lynette Brustein. Some of the people that lived on my block who were older then me were the Bigmans (Arlene & Irwin), Larry Moranis, The Yagoda family, Charles Morris, Adrian Meppin who became a producer for WCBS TV News. I remember a place called Celian Manor which was on Pitkin Avenue near Easter Parkway and Buffalo. Does anyone out there remember it? I hope that I've sparked a few memories. You can e-mail me at jgo262@aol.com I would love to hear from people from the old hood. By the way I pass it everyday on my way to work. It certainly has changed like everything else.

Richie Rubin: 26th Nov 2008 - I lived on St. Johns pl. nr. Utica ave. I bowled @`da Pit' & danced @ many`affairs'
@`President Chateau'& consumed `tons' of pickled herring & chopped
livah &`belly'& lox & delish sturgeon from JACK's appettizink. oy!
&`pletzels', bialys & shmaltz..surprisink I'M still alive!& hale

Keith Bernstein: 26th Nov 2008 – I lived on EP and Troy. I used to go to the Carroll for the Saturday matinees (26c or 30c in the '50s). My cousin had a birthday party one year at the Sugar Bowl and I used to get cookies at the Normandie Bakery (my friend's mom worked there). The day my family moved from Crown Heights to Canarsie, my sister and I were sent to the Carroll to see the movie and to the Chinese restaurant (it did have great food) across the street to keep us out of the way; afterwards, we took the Remsen Ave bus to our new home. That was the last time I went to the Carroll or the restaurant. Thanks for posting.
anon: 27th Nov 2008 - This really is a great site. I used to play basketball againstt Ronnie Bly in 1962. He was made of steel but could be muscled and did not movie without the ball. I knew Bobby Fisher very well. He was messed up early on, hovering at the edge of insanity. His mother hovered over him. She didn't know what to do about him. She was desperate. I think Bob Sackheim went to the Naval Academy. Ben and Sol's insulted you like family; Radin's didn't. Rae's on Carrrol Street where one had the best egg creams was closed down by the Health Department. Rae's on President and Franklin had the best slightly rancid tuna fish sandwiches with pickles and had a raffish atmosphere; the joint across the street was more adult and had a bookie. Matty Paris holycity@juno.com
Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 27th Nov 2008 - I agree, this is really a nice site. It is nice to think back on Memory Lane. I remember the "field days", in Boys High Field on Maple Street. In my day, it started in fifth grade. 
there was a potato race. I remember so many classes marching down Schenectedy Avenue and having to be so quiet. 
I lived on Sterling Place, but don't remember any houses with vegetable gardens. I lived on Sterling Place between Kingston Avenue and Hampton Place. Therefore I remember most of the stores along Kingston Ave. There was a Fish store on Kingston Ave. near Lincoln Place. There was always sawdust on the floor there. There were nice gardens in front of the apartment houses between the school and Troy Ave. Two of them had hedges in the garden shaped like furniture.
I remember the third grade trip to the Bronx Zoo. I thought that it was so nice, much nicer than the Prospect Park Zoo. I remember the trip to the Museum of Natural History in a higher grade. Do teachers still take classes on a trip by subway?
Esther Herschman (Rechtschafner): 27th Nov 2008 – Hope that you don't mind me writing again. I just had a quick glance at this site. HELEN BITZER wrote last year about her friends. I remember Frances & Irwin Eisenstein, and their Mother as one of the teachers. She used to like Julia Australa very much. She was probably a very good student and a very good girl. I wasn't in her class, but knew about this. I remember that she was quite pretty.
aj schure: 28th Nov 2008 - i lived on president between troy and schenactady from 1944-1965 ps 167 graduated 1958 went to wingate then marines joel prussin and i still close to this day he also went to 167 anyone out there remember us? was back to the hood 2yrs ago it looks good and better in some areas!!

Richie Rubin: 29th Nov 2008 - there were gardens on Sterling pl.
`twixt Utica &`Skin-neck-titty'aves.

Jane: 1st Dec 2008 - Keith, Thank you for the nice comments. I'm glad I brought back some nice memories. You stated that your friend's mother worked at the Normandie Bakery. My mom and I would shop there and one of the salesladies would let me pick out a cookie from time to time. Her name was Emily and she had blonde hair and wore glasses. Could this have been your friend's mother? You mentioned that you moved to Canarsie. I also moved to Canarsie. What street did you live on? I was on East 104th Street between N and Seaview. Have you been back there lately? Nothing is the same. None of the stores that I remember are there anymore. Mostly schlock stores. By the way, I passed P.S. 167 just this afernoon and the whole building is being renovated.

Keith Bernstein: 1st Dec 2008 - Jane--The lady who worked at Normandie Bakery was named Rosalie. I lived on E 84th St between Avenues L and M and visited Canarsie a couple of years ago and everything seems different from my memories. The Avenue L shopping area has really declined in quality and I miss Grabstein's deli and the Charcoal Chef across from the Bayview project. My Nov 3 posting contains a link to a Board of Ed document that describes the poor condition of the PS 167 building (it is almost 100 years old) as well as many photos.

Richie Rubin: 2nd Dec 2008 - AJS,I knew several folk who were murdered in old `hood', yep, it did
change..for `da woyst', WE probably can't walk da streets safely @
nite.. anymore..& chain-link fences/bars on many of da b'ldgs I usta
play/hang-out in[esp. on St. Johns pl.]a sad state OUR former living
quarters/spaces has come to, I visit often,& it brings ME to tears
to see the deterioration/seedy/ slum/ness our old `stamping grounds has come to..FEH!

Carol Cohen (FOXY): 5th Dec 2008 - Allen,
Please don't refer to me as a blur I really exist and my name is Carol Cohen. Judy Oshinsky and I were good friends and I lived on Eastern Parkway and Utica Ave., right next to St. Mathews Church. If either me or the gang wasn't on Union St. then we were at the parkway benches, my window or Dubrows. Those days we were about 15 kids who came from St. Johns Place, President St. and Union St., etc., and we were called the "gang" and the older people were afraid of us not because we did anything but because there were so many of us. Those days were the best.

Allan: 5th Dec 2008 - Those of us who lived on or came to Union St. played games that required open space near Schenectedy. There were no trees up that way. For non-ball games and stoopball, we moved down towards Utica. That's where the private houses with stoops and trees were. I also went to Dubrow's a lot. My grandparents hung out there and I had family right across on Eastern Parkway.

Julia Astralla ?: 5th Dec 2008 - irst to RR. Yeah, I know 'FOXY Cohen" didn't she marry Jackie Nolan ? (One of Tommy O'Malley's friends ? )
to everyone else. Indulge me please !
Who else besides me stood in that long, long line at the very last rock 'N' roll show at the brooklyn paramount ? (weren't they fantastic ?) does anyone remember the one-hit wonder singing group, the SKYLINERS, (I think) lived somewhere on utica ave. over a funeral home. that's what I was told by a girl, who dated one of them, they were cousins, and a brother !who remembers *NECKING* at the utica theater, some of them for me, are talking-heads on this site. who also can remember what the last movie was before it got torn down for that dumb A & P ? last movie I saw at the CARROLL theater, on a date with a cute soldier, was called "TOWN WITHOUT PITY*, did anyone else see that there?
usmcsniper1: 7th Dec 2008 - It really is wild to hear about all the good memories people have about Eastern Pkwy. We moved to 1098 Eastern Pkwy directly across the street from St Matthews Church. My aunt attended catholic school there and remember her getting ready for school. My grandparents had a great apartment #5 with great views of the Pkwy. My family later moved to apt#12 in 1966 when I was 5 yrs old. Originally we sold our house on Mermaid Ave in Coney Island. To be honest with you I hated living there as the neighborhood was on the decline. One can tell that it used to be a great neighborhood back in the 1920's- 1950's. After ten years in that dump, glad to move to Sheepshead Bay with my own people. The day we loaded up our moving truck and closed the apartment door #5 was the greatest day. We went from renting a shabby dreary apartment to home owners in Sheepshead Bay. Just four years later we bought a nice home in Woodmere, Long Island. It was like winning the lottery, since those sad days in Eastern Parkway. Despite some hard life experiences, I am curious and would like to visit the old dump. drsruggiero@sbcglobal.net

usmcsniper1: 10th Dec 2008 - Yes, we all went to PS167 and then to IS210 John Marshall JR High. Our homeroom was the girls gym on the fifth floor. When you are a kid things always seemed larger than life. Our fifth grade class was located at the annex huts in the schoolyard. Mr.Lassiter was our teacher, he was the first african teacher we had. He was great and we all loved his calm teaching style. Right now I am opening up my memory vault....uggghhh!

Allan: 10th Dec 2008 - usmcsniper1, "Yes, we all went to PS167 and then to IS210 John Marshall JR High". No! PS 167 had kindergarden through 8th grade until 1958 or maybe '59. After graduation we went directly to Wingate HS. It was after one of those years that 167 switched to a 6 grade school and the graduates went to JHS. According to your own timetable you were about 10 to 15 years younger and you cannot relate to the memories being described. It's evident that in those intervening years there were changes in the neighborhood that you disliked.

mitch: 13th Dec 2008 - Here's a question, does anyone remember the plaques that used to be next to the trees lining Eastern Parkway. I remember almost every tree was dedicated to the memory of someone killed during "The Great War." As a little kid, I remember wondering what they meant by "The Great War." It was only years later when I actually knew what that meant. Are those plaques still there? BTW ... I visited the old neighborhood a couple of weeks ago with my wife. We went to the Brooklyn Museum (still one of the absolute best thought the new entrance vestibule is an abomination on the architecture). While there, I showed my wife around the neighborhood ... my old apt building, where Ebbets Field used to be, Maiman's Pharmacy, PS241, etc., etc. Driving down Franklin, the locations of the stores and restaurants kept popping into my head like it was yesterday. Memories streamed back at me... We took a walk over in Prospect Park. It's still beautiful (though it was surely cold). What a day!

Stan N: 14th Dec 2008 - The movie theater around the corner from the Loews Pitkin was the Loews Palace. Someone had mentioned that he had forgotten the name. I also ate a lot of the combination plates at the shaky 2nd floor Chinese restaurant next to the Sutter Ave. train station. I spent many weekend afternoons skating at the Eastern Parkway skating rink and later on saw Floyd Patterson fight there in one of his early fights when it became the Eastern Parkway Arena. I lived on E.96th St. near Rutland Road. Someone had mentioned the Jungle Jim's coconut milk drinks on Pitkin Ave. They were the best on those hot summer nights. Actually, my father and Jungle Jim immigrated from Europe on the same ship and were good friends.

Richie Rubin: 15th Dec 2008 - Stan N; Yeah, `Jungle Jim's coconut whip' on Pitkin & Amboy was a
real .10 cent treat!..& was HE a character! across Pitkin ave. was
a knish cart [heated up w/charcoal] `MoM's' knishes were 0val & He
put salt on it. whether YOU asked or not!.deelish1, esp.washed
down w/a cold` J.J's coconut whip!.20cent total[in `mid`50's]
then a l-o-n-g walk to Belmont ave. for ‘bargains' from push-carts
from pickles to kishkes to clothing to pots & pans, all cheaper
than local stores..& most `venders' spoke yiddish or italian. no?
I miss dem nut so daze 5+[five+]decades ago!...gone...forever!

Sharon: 23rd Dec 2008 - I attended St Matthews for eight years 65'-73', and during those times were some great days of my life. I remember having a variety of places to have lunch when I was older, I walk to Utica Ave between Lincoln and St Johns place. I would go to woolworth and order a hogey; go to the deli and get a knish; or go on St Johns Place and get a slice of pizza. If I was not getting something to eat I would be in the yard playing double dutch, tic tac toe, or my favorite handball. I loved handball so much that I use to get a spanking from not coming home on time, because I would be waiting my turn to play after school. There were times that we were let out of school early from rumors that the IS (do not remember the number) down the street was going to beat us up. There was also a family in our school you would not mess with because there were so many of them. Those were the days.

Richie Rubin: 24th Dec 2008 - Sharon; dat `IS' down da st. was probably our PS 167, on Eastern pkwy
it was alwaze a`tough' school, but never like in`60's-`70's..no?
when You went to St. Matthews did the `nuns' still hit students
w/rulers? usually on palm of hand,@ least dat's what I was told
by all the kids who went there in`50's,& did they still have a
summer fair/carnival? w/rides, games, eats, etc. I remember those
fun`fairs'in late`50's..what good memories! ..no?

Doc S.....: 24th Dec 2008.....ahhh, Miss Kenny!!! now THAT brings back many "auditory memories"! Even now, I can hear her bellow: "GET ME YOUR CONDUCT BOOK!!!". Does that stir up th' old memory pot for any of you????
 Great teacher though! She taught math, English, and RESPECT.
Doc

Willie: 25th Dec 2008 - Doc - I believe I was in the first graduating class at Lefferts Junior High (1959-1961). I went to Erasmus, too ('64), but think my Mr. Cohen lived beyond my graduation year. Am wondering if you know that the old 1787 Erasmus Academy frame building in the courtyard has been closed and proclaimed to be 'structurally unsound.' Baloney! Although its landmarked, there is a maneuver called 'demolition by neglect' which eventually leads to removal. Am in the early stages of woring to prevent this. Just FYI. Thanks for your feedback. Willie

Doc S: 26th Dec 2008 - Richie: Yes, according to what I can figure out (Google, etc.), it happened at what is now the Prospect Park station of what WAS the old BMT line (I don't remember what they renamed the line(s) after they integrated all 3 subway systems - I DO know where they are, and where they'll take you, however). There is a picture of the accident on the Brooklynpix website under "Subways"

Willie: 27th Dec 2008 - Rick, Doc: Yes, Busches Ice Cream Parlor was on Nostrand (near corner of Union Street). Today there is a 'white table cloth' restaurant in that space called "Tavern on Nostrand" which is quite impressive (Live jazz, good food) when it is open, which unfortunately is only intermitently. Clove Road is a one-block street running north-south facing Lefferts JHS (between Nostrand and New York Avenues). Very close to the Police Precinct. Malbone Street (also a one-block street) that flanks it on the north, with Empire Boulevard (once named Malbone Street) to the south. The street name was changed to Empire Boulevard following the negative association with the Malbone Street train disaster when 97 people lost their lives in 1918 - still the worst subway accident in NYC history. The train stop was once called 'Consumer Park' after the Consumer Park brewery (Franklin Avenue near Bergen St.) along what is today the Franklin Avenue shuttle. And, yes, was walking distance from what was then Ebbets field.

Doc S....: 29th Dec 2008 - When I lived around the Franklin Ave. Shuttle, the stops were:
Prospect Park (Connecting w. other BMT trains)
Botanic Garden(Entrances on President St./Eastern
P'kway Park Place
Dean Street
Franklin Ave. (@Fulton Street, where you could walk downstairs to the street and transfer to the IND ("A" train).

Rick: 29th Dec 2008 - In those days, even a 10 year-old kid (as I was) was allowed to take the Franklin Avenue Shuttle with friends (I loved to stand in the front) to the end and then take the A Train to the City, in particular, the Museum of Natural History or the Planetarium. Those were some wonderful Saturday afternoons away from Ebbet's Field and the 241 schoolyard.

Alan Kupperberg: 30th Dec 2008 - Ben Massick's Town & Country Club in Brooklyn was even farther down Flatbush Avenue than Avenue U. I believe it was between Avenue U and the Belt Parkway. Out among the bulrushes, as it were. My parents saw the great Sophie Tucker (the last of the Red-Hot Mammas!) perform in that storied venue. My mother reports that she found Tucker to be a foul-mouthed old woman on stage. To each his/her own. Personally, I love Sophie Tucker. Happy New Year, All.

I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]